1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Can Flu be a type of symptom imperative?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by af90, Feb 13, 2015.

1. af90

af90 Peer Supporter

Hello,

I'm three months in the recovery process from my severe widesperad pain that lasted two years and I have what i think an interesting question for discussion.

I know Sarno refers to the common cold/flu as being result of decrease in immune system caused by stress. I want to point out some intresting expeerience that has happen to me and discuss whether we can see common cold/flu as symptom imperative instead.

Just before any of my pain began, I was ill 3 times in three months and i was even questioned by family like what is going on you are getting ill too much. After that i started getting pain and started to be wide spread for 2 years. In those two years i did not fall ill not a single time. I have been recovering from pain for 3 months using sarno's strategies. I have been ill for 2 weeks now (virus, chesty cough no fever) and I can note that my pain level is the best it has ever been 1 or 2 out of 10 (except replaced with the nasty illness).

Anyone with similar experience?

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I hated working for a big corporation for three years and my department head told me,
    "Walt, you have the worst heath record in the company's history."
    I had colds every month or less.

I quit and can't remember having a single cold since then.

Stress in my work life? I am sure it caused my colds. It was TMS forty years before I learned about TMS.

I agree with Dr. Sarno that emotional stress can cause disease in our immune system resulting in colds, flu, etc.

IrishSceptic likes this.
  3. af90

af90 Peer Supporter

Hi Walt,

That is interesting that you haven't had a cold since then and it became purely TMS. It is almost same as me. The way i see it is that the cold is just another distraction, just like when the pain moves around. I find interesting that as i am getting a lot better now (I reported "almost" recovery 2 weeks ago), the flu came to "fight" this recovery.