1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Can anyone relate to the following?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by johnhenryowen, Feb 11, 2015.

1. johnhenryowen

johnhenryowen New Member

Hi all,

I've substantially recovered from one set of mind/body type symptoms, but I'm really struggling to shift another lot that may or may not be mind/body related... I wanted to run this by the community here and see if anyone recognised this specific set of difficulties.

So - I have really persistent needling pains in my lower legs, sharp pain that hurts especially whilst walking and mostly affects the shin area, as well as persistent tightness in muscles - especially the calf muscles - of both legs. Also some numbness and tingling, and a definite sense that my feet drift inward in the gate cycle, probably resulting from tightness in my leg muscles generally.

Is this description familiar to anyone and would anyone be willing to elaborate on their own experience?

Naturally, the anxiety is that I might be naively imaging that all symptoms are TMS related, and in fact a structural problem is present and needs attention (I expect a chorus of voices telling me not to 'doubt' the diagnosis, and that is precisely what I'm trying to accomplish - Very often, other relating to specific symptoms can be helpful in building resolve).

many thanks

IrishSceptic likes this.
  2. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

Pins and needles in legs and arms are pretty common symptoms. I had my share, but in my case it was not a primary symptom so it came and it went along with how tensed up I was. In fact, just as I am typing it is starting to tingle slightly in my right hand and right foot. :) the power of the mind.....
    The fact that you have it in both legs increases the chance that indeed it is TMS. Also the tightness is a pretty good sign in favour of TMS.
    If you want to be sure, find a doctor and tell him that you think it is a stress related phenomenon, but you want to rule out anything really serious.

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Your tingling in the right hand and foot does sound to me like you still need to discover the repressed emotions causing pain.
    Your subconscious has accepted your belief in some TMS emotions, but there could be more.
    Get back to journaling to bring the emotions up. You are probably keeping something(s) deeply repressed.

But not to worry. You will come through the tingling and everything else causing pain. Just keep believing in TMS.

4. mdh157

mdh157 Well known member

I've got symptoms that are not the regular TMS symptoms......and to be honest with ya, I have doubts as well, but as of now there is no med explanation for what I have been experiencing - tingling in extremities, pain that moves, twitching that moves. It's hell on earth - not the symptoms themselves, my worrying about what it 'might be' despite the evidence pointing to TMS. i'm going to start journaling this weekend to try and dig out some of my anger.

5. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

The little pieces of evidence that you will start to gather will slowly build more and more confidence in the possibility that it is TMS. Write them down or mark them in your journal and read them back in times of doubt.

6. lexylucy

lexylucy Well known member

nothing wrong with going to a doctor and getting it checked out

I can relate. This past week I had the flu with fevers up to 102.8. I developed this piercing pain in the top and side of my head. And my whole upper body feels like it's kinda under water. It is prolly I am all stuffed up but when I had my fever I had a panic attack that I had some hearing loss- I'm a singer/musician & sound editor by trade so my hearing is absolutely everything. But I had just watched a show about a deaf person and my father had said high fevers are dangerous and I just freaked out. I don't know if the piercing head pain is my TMS...When I try to talk to it I do get a sense that I have some things I want to say to some people. I think I will do some writing tomorrow. Write some letters I may or may not send.

Anyway I don't think anyone ever lost their hearing from a 102.8 fever....My original hip/sacral/lower back pain I started this program with has been almost entirely absent. I think it's pretty clear that area of my body is not going to work any more as a red herring. As great as that as I think these kind of hypochondriasis panic states are more distracting than ANYTHING ...But geez I think I would know if if I had gone deaf...

most people feel like their head is a watermelon and feel totally distant from everything - like watching a movie - when they have a fever and are totally stuffed up/with the flu right?

thanks guys ....good luck j.h.o. - i know a lot of peeps have had issues with shins/feet...very common