1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Can anyone actually visibly see the tight neck muscles popping out of their neck!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by marine89, Oct 9, 2017.

1. marine89

marine89 Peer Supporter

the last few months iv noticed if i raise my shoulder i can actually see the muscle pop out of my neck. its very painful. The left side doesnt show anything. just the right side where alot of my pain is. Anyone else experience this and can it still be TMS is its visible physical problem like this.[​IMG]

2. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

Absolutely. TMS causes tight and painful muscles and these can be easily felt on the body, this is part of a standard physical exam that any TMS doctor or practitioner would perform. TMS is the idea that the pain isn't "just" in the brain, but that the brain causes many real, observable changes in the body (that are reversible) such as tight muscles, swelling, etc.

Click#7 likes this.
  3. JoeHealingTms

JoeHealingTms Peer Supporter

I can. The first big tms I had that sent me to the ER thinking it was a heart attack, the muscly in my neck popped out and it looked like I have an egg under the skin. It have been like that for years and not only that muscle, but the muscles on the left side of my chest look actually bigger than the right due to the spasm. It have become better with the years. If I lay my head to the right side, you can see on the trapezius cavity that the muscle is there in a spasm, when I turn the head to the left, you see the right side trapezius cavity flat as it should be. For years I though I was the only one and the looked online and found a lot of people with the same symptom. Now that I am controlling tms better, the spasm have reduced considerably, but still not 100%. When it completely goes out of sight I will now I have completely reach my goal.Best luck to you.

4. gutter3

gutter3 Peer Supporter

I know what you mean. I can actually feel the knots, or trigger points. Behind my neck on the right side, at the base of my skull I can feel a huge knot that feels like the size of a golf ball. I don't feel it on the left side, but I have more issues with my right side.

5. Ines

Ines Well known member

When I get a migraine my right eye looks droopy. It goes away after migraine is gone.

6. thecomputer

thecomputer Well known member

I have suffered much neck and throat pain and could feel extreme tension in many different muscles. At times I thought I could see the tension, but you can see muscles as they work, especially in the neck, and it varies from person to person.

From your picture I don't see anything out of the ordinary. Not that it helps the pain go away!

When my throat gets really bad from talking I often obsess over looking at my throat in the mirror with a torch. I always convince myself I can see redness and rawness. It only makes things worse.

I find it's best to just try and let go as much as possible, to relax everything, you mind, your thoughts, your whole body rather than focussing on the specific area in pain

;)