1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Call-In Discussion Tues 8/5: Chapters 1&2 in Meaning of Truth

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Forest, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Join the call-in discussion group this Tuesday (July 29) as we dive into The Meaning of Truth by @Nicole J. Sachs LCSW ! We'll be reading and discussing the Preface (“WARNING!”), Chapter One (“A Few Things”), and Chapter Two (“Me”). Like last week, Nicole will again be joining the discussion.

In the Preface, Nicole mentions the differing feedback she received around whether or not to restructure the book. She addresses the contrasting advice by writing a disclaimer, which is the rest of the preface, in which she grants us permission to skip ahead to certain chapters but strongly encourages us to read the book from start to finish.

Chapter One, which is fully titled “A Few Things (I Need to Tell you Before Anything Else),” is in a way another introduction to the book in which, among other things, Nicole expands more on "truth" (as she uses it throughout the book).

In Chapter Two, Nicole shares more about herself and talks about the importance of sharing in general. She talks about her strong belief that self-disclosure as a therapist is not just beneficial but almost essential to a patient, because it lets that patient know they are not alone. As Nicole writes, "therapy cannot be about a “needy person” seeking “Godly wisdom” from a (perceived) perfect being. It MUST be two humans sharing their humanity." Nicole also mentions aspects of her TMS story, hinting that the full recovery story will come in later chapters. She also talks more about her role as the writer of the book and her relationship with us, the readers (in that, like her approach a therapist, she will be "in it" with us).

Nicole has also generously offered two more autographed paperback copies of her book which will be raffled off to two lucky members of this forum! Reply to this thread to enter the drawing:
    http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/two-more-copies-of-nicole-sachs-book-reply-to-enter.5341/

The official discussion will start at 9:00pm Eastern Time, but phone lines will open approximately half an hour beforehand. Connection details are as follows (visit go.tmswiki.org/connect for full information):
    • If you're connecting by phone, dial 1 201-479-4595 and when prompted enter the pin code 18311499 followed by the pound symbol.
    • If you're connecting via your computer (Fuze Meeting), go to http://fuze.me/18311499 and follow the instructions from there. Connecting via computer gives you access to a chat room and lets you watch webcams of the hosts.
    For more information about the discussion group, and to listen to all past recorded discussions, visit www.tmswiki.org/ppd/Call-In_Peer_Discussion_Group .

Hope to see you all there!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  2. Forest

After the last call, several of us stayed on the line and decided that during each call, we want to start out with discussing questions about the specific chapters we cover.

Does anyone have any specific questions that they think would be good to discuss for the preface and the first two chapters? If we can come up with a list of questions in advance, it will help us plan the session and select the questions that will lead to the most interesting discussions.

3. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Nicole lays things out pretty clearly in these chapters, so I only have one question. In Chapter One (p.8) she states "...personal power protects us from our own resistance." I'm not sure what she means by "personal power" and how it might protect us from our resistance to looking at "truth".

Looking forward to the discussion....

Forest likes this.
  4. Forest

Thanks, Ellen! That's a great idea and we will be sure to ask it.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  5. Forest

Any other topics that people would like us to bring up on the call?

6. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

In tennis there's an expression, "Play the ball, don't let the ball play you" that resonates for me on this.

Ellen likes this.
  7. Forest

Hi everyone,

Here's the recording of Tuesday's call. You can listen to it using this audio player, or download it by right-clicking on the link below and choosing to save it to your computer as an mp3.

Click here to download the mp3 audio

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
    Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  8. Colly

Colly Beloved Grand Eagle

Herbie, you can fix my roof anytime! Shame you don't live in Melbourne!

Thanks for sharing this Forest. Wonderful to hear Nicole's many pearls of wisdom:)

Great to hear all the voices - is that you Ellen!? What a lovely voice:)

Eric "Herbie" Watson and Forest like this.
  9. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Colly,
    I haven't listened to the recording, but I did join in the discussion.

Wish you could join us--darn, those time zone differences.