1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

caffeine

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Stef, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Stef

Stef Peer Supporter

Hi,

Does anyone else find that caffeine perpetuates their anxiety? At least a year ago I switched to one cup caffeinated coffee in the morning & then just another cup decaf but that started making me feel anxious too (unless I am just associating it that way). I switched to just decaf for about a month & was fine. For some reason I decided to try my old way again & I don't think it is working for me. I am switching back to just decaf. I just love the taste of my coffee in the morning. It isn't a big deal. I just wonder if others experience anything like that. Seems odd I would suddenly be affected by it when I was fine for years (I am 36 years old).

2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Heya, Stef, personally I find that caffeine tends to improve my mood. It just makes me happy. In contrast, when I wake up in the morning, with far less caffeine in my body, I tend to be most prone to anxiety, catastrophizing, and self-criticism.

I did some Googling and this looked like a good review of the scientific literature:
    http://www.calmclinic.com/anxiety/causes/coffee

Its conclusion:
    Choosing Whether or Not to Drink Coffee
    Those that live with anxiety deal with a considerable amount of stress every day. That stress can have a powerful effect on day to day living, and those that suffer from that level of anxiety should consider everything they can to improve their quality of life.

If this means you want to try cutting out caffeine from your diet, then you should cut caffeine from your diet. The potential anxiety benefits of caffeine are mild at best, and people react differently to different dietary changes, so it may be worthwhile quitting caffeine and seeing if your anxiety feels like it is decreasing.

Nevertheless, research has yet to show a strong link between coffee and anxiety, and other research seems to show the opposite effect – that not only does caffeine not effect anxiety, it could benefit it as well. As long as you're limiting your caffeine consumption to healthy levels and not suffering from panic attacks, there's little reason to believe that you need to stop drinking that next cup of coffee.​

A more personal account was the following:
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/progress-not-perfection/201106/i-quit-coffee-cure-my-anxiety
    The author wrote that after quitting "I'm not anxious all the time, or for no reason. So the payoff has been good enough to keep me on the wagon."

I bet it's all personal, and some people might just feel better not drinking coffee. To each their own, right?

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I stopped drinking anything with caffeine years ago (coffee, tea, chocolate drinks) because it made me jumpy and gave me anxiety.
    Caffeine is a stimulant. We don't need anything to hype us up, we need drinks that calm us down. I like hot milk or decaffe tea.

I love Forest, but feel the opposite about caffeine. Maybe some people can handle it, but I can't. I sure doesn't make me happy, but most people I know depend on it. It may not work for you, as if doesn't for me.

4. Stef

Stef Peer Supporter

Yeah, I guess everyone is different. I will just keep doing the decaf then. I just wondered others experiences. :)

5. Stef

Stef Peer Supporter

6. HPJM

HPJM New Member

If I drink too much caffeine I get twitchy and nervous. I limit coffee to twice a week. It puts me in a great mood and makes my brain light up with ideas.

Stef likes this.
  7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

If I drink anything with caffeine in it, I climb the walls. I don't need a stimulant, I prefer a relaxant. I am 85 and an author and am at the most creative I've ever been in my life. I work on new book ideas that come to me all the time and actually FINISH writing the books. Two since Easter! Probabaly the best novel and the best nonfiction book. I have more to work on right away.

Stef likes this.
  8. Stef

Stef Peer Supporter

That is wonderful. You are an inspiration!