1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 8 ....but technically Day 3

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by spiritualityscienceslay, Feb 22, 2017.

1. In typical type A personality fashion, I want to inject as many inputs as possible to solve the problem ASAP. So I'm just going full speed through the exercises, but it's only my third day in.

I think the nicest mantra I've pulled away thus far is focusing on "self-acceptance rather than self-improvement."

I wrote a couple points on my overflowing beaker of rage list, and wrote a letter to "Perfectionism". It felt cathartic and even if it doesn't help my back, I'm certain these exercises will enhance my experience in other domains in life!

I also went to a hiphop dance class instead of a mind-numbing gym workout...what i thought was meditative, but perhaps was more sadistic-escapism from pain. The exercise challenging me on 'why' I exercised was very helpful.

Any suggestions/thoughts welcome!

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Wonderful contemplation for all of us, all the time!

I am glad you're encouraged by your SEP work, spiritually.

You know this, but I will suggest that patience is something which can be a virtue in treating yourself with Dr. Sarno's method. For one thing, you don't know how long it will take for your deep layers to get the right message. Each person does this work in their own way and time. Secondly, expecting and pushing don't add anything to your experience of the Inner Child, and if you find yourself doing this anyway, you can always recognize this gently and speculate the impacts on your inner realms. Gently seeing our personality tendencies, and holding them with love is a great practice!

You might find more free-form exercise to be a gentle approach with your personality. I like ecstatic dance, skiing, bicycling, --things that have their own beauty and pleasure built-in. Just a suggestion.

I wish you great success in your TMS work.

Andy B

3. love this! yes.

one my of my favorite brainpickings article regards ted hugh's letter to his son about the inner child. <3
    thank you for this wisdom

yes! i grew up a competitive ballerina, and took a hiphop class the other night which instantly made me feel better on lots of fronts.
    thank you!

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Perfectionism is one of the common causes of TMS pain. I believe that most people who have TMS get it from
    pressuring themselves to be perfect. I think that most of us could be 80 percent less perfect and still be a lot better person than others. Perfectionism is hard on everyone.