1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Burnout

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Jettie1989, Jul 23, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Jettie1989

Jettie1989 New Member

Hee all,

A year ago I had to stop working because I experienced burnout.
    It was pretty intense, I couldn't walk for 5 minutes and even mindlessly scrolling through my phone was like scratching an open wound. I had to close my eyes and do nothing, basically all day.

I have heard of two of my friends who overcame burnout by pushing through.
    When the first friend told me I thought it was very risky and it was something I could never do because I felt like I got in this situation by pushing.
    When the second friend told me about her experience -I knew about TMS now- I started thinking. What if this whole burnout is tms.
    Should I just push through? That is so against all advice because everyone says I have to listen to my body and give it rest.

So my dilemma is, I could see that these very vague but very intense symptoms could be TMS. Pushing through is something that isn't dangerous when it is TMS, and is helpful. But I'm scared to do that because when the burnout started I tried to push through and it got really bad.
    I'm scared to ruin my progress so far..

Also I can't find any succes stories about burnout. There are stories about chronic fatigue, and I'm wondering if it's the same.

(Also I have done a lot of emotion digging and I feel like I discovered a lot of reasons for this burnout , and still at it :)

2. Booble

Booble Well known member

Hi Jettie,

I think it depends on the nature of the burnout.
    If your burnout started with a viral condition, then a lot of rest would be in order before moving forward. If you were working 12 hour shifts, double over time, non-stop for weeks, months years, then your body needs physical rest.

However it sounds like you have physically rested and now could be the perfect time to work on the mental aspects and the post burnout symptoms you are feeling.

For me personally, I don't think of "is it TMS?" TMS isn't a disease or condition. It's more of a theory or understanding that our hidden emotions are presenting us with symptoms to keep us down in order to protect us. One of the hardest things is that once your lower brain has got you down, it wants to keep you there. You've been down for a significant amount of time. It's going to work hard to present you with physical reasons to stay there.

I would start by setting your symptoms aside and spend your thinking and your writing on your emotions. Let them speak (write) through you. Let them say what they are angry about. How do they feel hurt. Who are they mad at...even someone they shouldn't be mad at. Write. Write. Write.
    When you stop thinking about your symptoms, when you stop wondering if it's OK to move forward, when you stop symptom searching and instead focus, focus focus on your emotions. All that focus and energy and time that you put into diligently worrying about and researching about and talking to others about regarding your symptoms -- put all that into delving into your emotions.

What will happen is that the other stuff will start to melt away. It will be gone. You won't have to decide...should I push through...because there will be nothing to push through.

Disclosure reminder: I'm not a doctor or a therapist and these are just some thoughts and ideas based on my opinions only.

Ellen likes this.
  3. Jettie1989

Jettie1989 New Member

Thanks Booble, that's such a kind answer, and it's a different way of looking at it. Thanks!

Booble likes this.
  4. Zandthee

Zandthee New Member

Hi Jettie, I’m also experiencing burnout and was wondering the same thing! How are you doing now?

ChronicVince likes this.
  5. Jettie1989

Jettie1989 New Member

Hee Zandthee, so sorry to hear that, burnout is a bitch!

I still have burnout symptoms pretty bad, but I feel like I am having a breakthrough lately with my symptoms.

Since I started using mushrooms (psilocybin trips) I have discovered I can translate these feelings in crying/screeming/muscle tensing.
    I discovered this while being on trips, but recently I've been able to do it without psilocybin.

If you are interested send me a message, I would not recommend jumping in without learning a lot about psilocybin first and knowing about the risks, and I am sure this will not work for everyone.
    It works very well for me in the sense that I will feel these old stored sadness/anger energies disappearing.