1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Burning nerves when lying down

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by JWT1, Sep 9, 2015.

1. JWT1

JWT1 New Member

Hi,

I have been educating myself with TMS for the last few weeks and gathered much knowledge, however I am struggling with some symptoms and about how I can best manage it. I have recently started the education programme.

I feel a lot of burning and aching in my body when I am lying down in bed at night. I am fine through the day but when I go to bed at night I experience burning and aching in the skin/muscles depending on the position I am lying in. Lying on my back is the worst, the whole of the back of my body is affected - base of skull upper back, back of legs, soles of feet, back of arms, palms of hands - these areas will ache and burn until I change positions and then those skin surfaces will then be affected. It feels as though the nerves underneath the skin are hyper sensitive and react badly with the weight of my body on them.

This only occurres when in bed at night and I wake with widespread pain. I have been taking amitriptyline which helps me sleep but I still wake up in pain, but I prefer not to take it at all and any other drug but I find without the ami the waking pain is much harsher. Is there a better way to tackle this because it is THE problem for me right now and really gets me down.

Many thanks,

John.

2. hecate105

hecate105 Beloved Grand Eagle

Just carry on with the daily work on the structured Ed prog. As you uncover and deal with the stresses from the past your symptoms should go. It may take time and sometimes pain gets worse before it gets better. But we only heal by dealing with the emotional repression. I found (and still find when pain flares on occasion) that 'calling out' the pain/symptoms helped. I literally called out - addressing the pain as if it were a person, telling it that it did not exist in itself and I would not accept it any longer - it will begone!
    Another 'tool' to use is meditation, if you can find a really soothing guided meditation tape that you enjoy and puts you either to sleep or into a more relaxed state. Night time is always worse as any symptom seems larger and more scary. It is when our imaginations run riot. I have trouble if I cannot sleep at controlling my 'catastrophic' thinking - I can have total disaster befalling my family in minutes - but I am wise to it now and keep a tight control on what I will allow my mind to dwell on at night. Hence I am typing this at 5.45am...!

3. levfin003

levfin003 Peer Supporter

Hi John - I would do what hecate105 said. As you move through the SEP, you will see an improvement in your symptoms. However, according to Dr. Scott Brady, its ok to keep taking medicines for a few more weeks until your symptoms begin to subside. Do this if you feel that your current level of pain is keeping you away from journalling. At some point, however, it is best to throw away the medicines.

hecate105 likes this.
  4. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

John

as the to above me gave you excellent advice, and me as a sufferer of your same type of issues …I have these burning sensations on and off during the day and sometimes at night along with nerve pain…I have found quiet meditation very helpful ACCEPTING my sensations as they come and not judging myself for having them. Don't be hard on yourself ( I DONT FOUCUS ON THESE SENSATIONS WHEN THEY GO ON)

Regarding meds for me I have no problem taking Gabapentin at night to sleep. sleep is a very important thing in the course of tms healing until you can deal with your tms and get threw the sep and other helpful tools on this site. I suggest you take whatever you need to take to get threw each day. dr Sarno said this will not interfere with tms healing.

As long as you been cleared by your Dr you are good to go. And has you build confidence in tms and the process you can lower your meds with your dr supervision .

God Bless

hecate105 likes this.
  5. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

You fear the night so your brain sits in waiting to help you. I see burning body sensations quite bit, one of my favorites is what I call BTS, burning thigh syndrome.

Take your mind to another place at night. Shift your awareness to a calm place in time. Have you ever seen the Miller Abolish Anxiety Now CDs?

hecate105 and Boston Redsox like this.
  6. JWT1

JWT1 New Member

Hi everyone,

Thanks very much for all your great advice. The burning sensations in the soles of my feet and other parts usually wear off as the day goes on but not for a good few hours but some days, like today, the sensations stay around for much longer. It all kicks off again when I go to sleep and wake up with everywhere back to square one. I go to sleep feeling good about my body and myself but wake up in state. It's in the mornings when I feel my worse that my brain tells itself that there really is something physically wrong with my nervous system and that I'm kidding myself thinking it's something as harmless as TMS :(. I'm guessing this is a common thought with TMS sufferers.

I'm only taking 10 mgs of ami but think I'm going to increase it to 20 and then 25 to hopefully improve things as I'm going through the program. I've been off work for seven months with it all and am getting pressure now to return to work, with a penciled in return date of the beginning of October. This is causing quite a bit of anxiety of course so am keen to improve my physical symptoms to be able to get back to work. At the moment with the way I feel in the mornings it seems an impossible task.

I don't know about those CD's Steve but will have a look now for them and other similar products.

John.

hecate105 likes this.
  7. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

JWT, those are the initials of the MD who edited GPD. His name is John too.

The patterns of TMS sufferers are all different. Mine was worse in the mornings and got better as my deeper brain could see that the day was not going to kill me. As the demands of my day dwindled.

But there are many who start out the day great and get worse as it goes along, crippled by nighttime. None of that is important to healing though.

The pressure you put on yourself to be ready by Oct. won't help you. The Type T hates deadlines. Have more fun, let go of time-frames, relax. Easier said than done, but it can be done. Try Emmett Miller's Abolish Anxiety Now. It will get to your amygdala. A happy amygdala is a happy person.

Steve

8. JWT1

JWT1 New Member

Great, thanks Steve, I really appreciate your guidance.

John.

9. levfin003

levfin003 Peer Supporter

Hi Steve - I am like you. My symptoms are worst in the morning as I have anxiety about not being productive due to the pain etc. Do you have any advice on how to deal with this?

Btw - I haven't made through your book as yet. I got a bit overwhelmed reading about TMS, and am focusing on journalling, activities and spending time with my family.

10. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, levfin. I think you could benefit by some positive mantras in the morning that could drive away your anxiety about not being productive due to your pain. My favorite is the old one: "Every day, in every way, I am getting better and better."

Or one of my own: "I can do anything today that I set my mind to do."

And put your mind on the enjoyable activities and time you will have with your family.

11. Boston Redsox

I use it everyday and night….

12. Boston Redsox

I have the same issues at night tms just comes a knocking but i know its coming so i let it in and say hello.

But i need to sleep at night so i take some meds so i can get enough rest to deal with my tms in the morning if i did not i be in the hospital