1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Burning feet and arms

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Boston Redsox, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

going on 6yrs of chronic pain it's been a long exhausting road .... I have read the books done the work expressed myself on this site spent $$$ on tms dr and therapist and I feel no closer to the path of being pain free from when I started .... Well take that back I learned not to fear my pain and live the best I know how.... But I'm exhausted it can really drain you ... I have tried everything maybe that's the problem the TRYING?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  2. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Hang in there.... This will pass, too!

3. Boston Redsox

I am ... Trying to

4. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Marco,
    I'm sorry that you're hurting. I hope it helps a little to say it, and express your frustration.
    Andy B

5. Boston Redsox

Yes it does Andy...tms is a very frustrating problem ...I feel I need to stop and give tms a break . I am on a pain loop that at the moment I can't get off of...also the healing process is starting to feel like and journey into denial my brain is saying I told you , you can't beat us your to weak , does this make sense ?

6. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Hey, Marco,

Sorry to hear that you have not felt a reduction in symptoms and are feeling understandably frustrated at this point. I think it is important for people who are not seeing success with TMS approaches to keep posting on this Forum. For many TMS sufferers the road to recovery is very long and hard. Those quick "book cures" are wonderful and dramatic, but don't appear the be the norm. There appears to be a very broad range in what constitutes success in this journey we are all on, and it is important to honor everyone's experience and challenges.

That said, it may well be that you are "trying too hard". I generally tend to go along with Dr. Sarno's recommendation that we not spend more than about an hour a day "working on our TMS". But this is hard to gauge since recovery for many of us means challenging and changing our thought and behavior patterns throughout the day. So in many ways I am "working on my TMS" all day long.

But if we are feeling frustration at not making progress, then this will lead to stress and tension which will only fuel the TMS. It's a fine line to walk, this road to recovery. It gets back to that rage/soothe ratio. So it may be that taking a break from "trying" is in order at this point. Sometimes all the knowledge and new learning needs time to percolate into our unconscious.

So I say, take a break--but don't give up. You are on the right path.

tgirl likes this.
  7. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

Hi Marco, I know that you feel your symptoms are a burden but remember all the personal things you have been through in the last while. There definitely appears to be a connection. Don't you think that when your personal life settles down so will the pain? You have expressed that you still feel anger etc. towards your situation and unfortunately your body isn't forgetting this. One day, when life is more settled for you and you experience a more continuous sense of peace your body will reflect this. I really think this is true.

Debbie

8. Boston Redsox

Thx you both Deb and Ellen for your words to put me back on the rails

9. Pingman

Pingman Well known member

Hey Marco - I can sympathize with you on a much smaller scale. My feet hurt as well and it is by far the hardest of all the TMS pains I have ever had to get out of my mind. You feel it with ever step and you can't get away from it by simply quitting an exercise or a sport or any general activity.

My pain is maybe a 3/10 but I am scared it will get worse and make the already annoying feelings I have unbearable when I hike, golf, hunt.

I feel anger/rage/crying on a scale like never before. I had lung surgery in December and something in me mentally changed. I have a hard time finding joy in the simple things I once did. I am more emotional where I coasted through life never letting the small stuff get to me. So I am searching myself for any emotional relationship to my feet and repressed emotion, trying to make the connection.

I feel weak like you....how can an ex all-state baseball, football guy who hunts and can handle two chest tubes and one of the most painful surgeries without post op pain meds not be able to deal with this minor foot pain?

That bothers me so so so much. Why can I mentally handle real pain better than most people but this foot problem I allow control my life?

I think for me it is less to do about repressed emotion in the past and my minds inability to deal with the fear of the future with an issue. It might have started with a emotional issue in the beginning but my constant focus and fear of the future of the issue has created the monster. the emotional tie is gone and now it is the feeding of fear with each step I take.

Are you consumed with the pain and symptom checking like I am...the fear fueling?

Steve J. likes this.
  10. Boston Redsox

Thx for your response pigman ...I am more mad at my pain and mad with the lack of any kind of healing with tms it's been a long time and got as much info that I could possibly absorb....I also have been going threw a divorce and separation from my home and family which I m sure my SC is wreaking havoc in me ...but it would be nice to see some sorts of light at the end of the tunnel ...believe me I know what your going threw...but I continue to live my life pain or not ...every morning I wake good day or not and do 5k it's the only way to tell my SC that I am fine...
    There have been numerous people on this site that haven given me strength along the way, hopefully we both find some relief....but to answer your question it's not so much fear but resentment and anger towards my pain is what fuels it.