1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

broken ankle

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by mrswhitney, Mar 15, 2015.

1. mrswhitney

mrswhitney Newcomer

Hi,I am having a very hard time dealing with back pain right now. As I have mentioned before, nothing shows on my lumbar MRI and multiple doctors have been unable to treat my pain. I broke my ankle about 4 weeks ago. It's just a simple fracture and the doctor thinks I will heal fine without surgery, but I am having a hard time because I am unable to exercise as much as I am used to. I have been sitting on the couch watching TV every night when I get home from work. I have obviously not been able to run at all. For the first few days after I broke my ankle my back felt very good, but for the past 3 weeks or so it has hurt as bad as it ever has. I am getting very frustrated. I know that according to my x-rays and MRIs there is nothing wrong with me, but why does my back hurt so much?? I keep a fairly healthy diet. I do whatever I can to stay healthy. I am feeling very disheartened. Any words of wisdom?

2. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Running in the pool?

3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi mrswhitney,
    Here is a post you did back in January:

Hi lizabean,
    I just started this structured program a few days ago. I read Dr. Sarno's book a couple months ago and like you had a big reduction in pain. It intensifies when my mind entertains the idea that I may need medical treatment or that I should foam roll or do stretches. I can tell you I did stretches and PT for months and felt nowhere near the relief I felt after reading Healing Back Pain and doing NO manual therapies at all. I think you are supposed to give up all "placebo" methods you are using in order to be successful. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong on that. I am just a beginner too. Good luck!

In this post, mrs, you clearly contemplated that no physical stuff was going to fix your back pain. It seems your mind is drifting back to wondering about diet and activity levels. It naturally does that with the pain. Thinking psychological is a practice that I am still working on after two years! It takes practice. My hope is that you stay focussed on the psychological cause of pain.

Did you finish the SEP? How much are you doing on a daily basis re "Sarno work?" Maybe checking in with yourself about your basic daily work on that will help you see where you can get the balance right. Try to see your doubt and fear about the pain as TMS symptoms screaming for your attention. Try to take an approach of disinterested witness.

Hope some of what I am writing rings a bell with you.

Andy B.

4. mrswhitney

mrswhitney Newcomer

Thanks for the reminder, Andy!

5. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Not being able to run because of an injury is quite a shock to your homeostasis (comfort level) and causes TMS. You've got quite a few therapists well versed in TMS in your state, you may want to contact one. Here's a list below from the Wiki's Practitioner's list. BTW, it looks like you're buddies with Paul Newman in your icon or are you married to him? As well as being an actor, he was quite an accomplished race car driver.

Colorado
    Aimee Aron, MA, NCC (Therapist)
    PPDA Practitioner
    Aimee Aron attained a Master of Arts degree in Clinical Mental Health with a special focus in multicultural counseling from the University of Colorado Denver. Her primary approaches are Multicultural and Existential Humanistic Therapies. These approaches demonstrate respect for and evaluate the individual, the relationships in their lives, the culture with which they identify, and how they make meaning of the experiences and elements of their lives. Value is found in examining the subjects of gender, age, ethnicity, spirituality, socio-economic status, and many other cultural forces in determining how a person has come to be who they are, what they believe about the world, and the troubles they are bringing to therapy. She helped found the Rocky Mountain Stress Check-Up organization, which reaches out to physicians about Tension Myositis Syndrome (TMS).

860 Emerson Street #0
    Denver, CO 80218
    (303) 900-8672
    aimee@aimeearon.com
    Website

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pam BenisonPam Benison, MA
    (Therapist)
    Pam Benison has been treating people with TMS/PPD for over 18 years. She encountered Dr. Sarno's book, Healing Back Pain, in 1994, used the knowledge he presented to successfully treat her own back pain. Most recently, she has studied with Dr. Howard Schubiner and has incorporated his book, Unlearn Your Pain, when working with her clients. Because of her 32 years in private practice, Pam draws upon many types of therapies and relaxation techniques that eliminate stress and progress one toward satisfaction and growth. Some of these methods are: gestalt psychotherapy, cognitive behavioral therapy, insight therapy, positive psychology, couples therapy, various forms of meditation and breath work. Pam received her Bachelor of Arts from Michigan State University and her Master's degree from the University of Denver. She is a fellow in the American Psychotherapy Association. She is willing to meet with clients via the phone or Skype.(Source)

Available via Phone and Skype
    7950 So. Lincoln St., #100
    Littleton, Co. 80122
    and
    1625 Larimer St., #2704
    Denver, Co. 80202
    303-797-8137
    integratedwellness@hotmail.com
    Survey Response / Website

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Evana HenriEvana Henri, PhD
    (Therapist)
    Dr. Henri has been treating people with Tension Myositis Syndrome (TMS) for over 9 years, and during that time has treated close to 200 people with TMS symptoms. She is able to draw upon her own experiences with chronic back pain, which she had for about one year, when she is treating her clientele. Henri uses several different therapy techniques to help her clients including EMDR, Solution-Focused Therapy, Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (MBCT), and Brainspotting depending on the situation. Henri uses these multiple techniques to design a unique treatment for her patients. Dr. Henri graduated with a Bachelors in Arts from Stanford University and received her PhD in Clinical/Health psychology from Ohio State University. In addition, Henri completed her internship and Post-doctoral fellowship from UCLA. (Source)

1325 Dry Creek Dr. Suite 101
    Longmont, CO 80503
    (720) 771-9248
    evanahenri@accessyoureverest.com
    TMS Wiki Profile / Survey Response / Website
    Insurance Accepted: Aetna, United Behavioral Health, Humana, Mental Health Network, Rocky Mountain Health Plans, and Anthem/BCBS

Mileah L. Koudele, LCSW (Therapist)
    2696 S. Colorado Blvd., Suite 200
    Denver, CO 80222
    (303) 775-3458

Catherine Tilford, MA, NCC(Therapist)
    PPDA Practitioner
    Catherine Tilford earned a Master's of Arts in Counseling Psychology from the University of Colorado in Denver and a Bachelor's degree in Psychology from Colorado Mesa University. In 2011, she was trained by the PPDA to provide Stress Check-Ups and is a founding member of the Rocky Mountain Stress Check-Up Network. Through counseling, Catherine supports personal growth by helping individuals move forward with self-awareness and strength. She provides a safe place in which you can explore your experiences and the problem or painful emotions that are standing in your way of living a personally meaningful and fulfilling life.

Available via Skype 2010 W 120th Avenue
    Suite 100
    Denver, CO 80234
    (303)720-9424
    catherine@embracestrengthcounseling.com
    Website

6. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

When I broke my foot I didn't really know about TMS, years before I read a Dr Sarno book in regards to my husband's back, but I had forgotten about it. While I was laid up I was very anxious about not being able to exercise. My foot continued to hurt after the bone healed: TMS. After no activity ( I used a scooter at the store etc)for 6 months, I found out my pain had started coming from TMS, not the break.

As a person who is used to exercise, perhaps you are very anxious about it? I am glad to say I've been back exercising for 6 months, its wonderful! You will be back too!!

7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Lizzy. Wonderful news that you are out of the store scooter and are exercising again.
    God bless Dr. Sarno. You, too!

8. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

Thank you Walt, it does feel great! God bless you and Dr Sarno! You are a light on this forum!