1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

breathing problem making it impossible to relax

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by nowa, May 28, 2020.

Tags:
  1. nowa

nowa Peer Supporter

I have a breathing problem which prevents me from relaxing, It started 15 years ago during a period of stress, financial,, cats being ill, pressuring myself to work harder in my studio, etc etc. I know it is a TMS symptom because it doesn't happen at night.

When I breathe in deeply, I have to cough, before I can breathe out, my gp thought it was asthma, when I did it at the surgery. I am so worried that it might be asthma. but whatever it is, it stops me from ever being able to relax or meditate without anxiety and agitation. It feels as if there is some kind of irritation somewhere in my chest... so i breathe in deeply and have to cough, so there is no air left to breathe out slowly.

has anybody else ever experienced anything similar, and if so, how did they deal with it?

2. BloodMoon

BloodMoon Beloved Grand Eagle

Didn't your GP offer for you to try a Ventolin inhaler as s/he thought you might have asthma? If it's not asthma (or TMS) it might be 'Silent Reflux' (aka laryngopharyngeal reflux - 'LPR' for short) - which GPs often mistake for asthma as SR causes breathing difficulties and a cough. I take Gaviscon Advance for my Silent Reflux (as recommended by an NHS ENT consultant) which works really well (you can buy GA off prescription here in the UK) plus, off my own bat, I bought and use a salt pipe (available on amazon and in Holland & Barrett) to also help relieve the irritation in my throat and chest; a salt pipe particularly helps if you have any mucous problems (and some asthma sufferers also swear by them). The GA took a couple of weeks to start to help me. (If you're interested in getting/trying a salt pipe, consider coming back to me about this as I can recommend a particular type of salt - that is better than most if one has SR - and a refillable salt pipe.)

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  3. nowa

nowa Peer Supporter

No, I haven't tried anything because it doesn't happen at night... I am certain that it is TMS
    apart from when my anxiety takes over, but thank you for all your suggestions. (I have been using Sterimar, a seawater based nasal spray for when my nostrils block up.)

4. BloodMoon

I don't understand about the night aspect? (For instance, SR happens during the day as well as at night, should your symptoms be due to that...in fact, SR happens mostly during the day rather than at night...SR is not GERD, which I understand tends to happen more at night.) Is it that you're not particularly bothered about your cough when you breathe out during deep breathing because you're not having your sleep disturbed with such a cough at night?

Are you seeking advice as to how you can breathe deeply without causing a cough? If so, I'll leave it to others to advise on deep breathing techniques - as all I can think of is that you could try to judge how deeply you can breathe without causing a cough. If it were me, I'd try breathing slowly rather than deeply, which I find is great for calming and soothing me generally.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  5. nowa

nowa Peer Supporter

I am so sorry, I don' t understand , what is SF?

6. BloodMoon

Sorry - blame my brain fog - I meant SR - Silent Reflux. (I'll go back and correct this in my previous posting.)

7. nowa

nowa Peer Supporter

i thought that was it! the reason that I am sure it is TMS is because it doesn't happen at night, and sometimes, when I am calmer, it doesn't happen during the day, but that is so rare...

8. Karim

Karim Peer Supporter

Same for me

9. nowa minarden

nowa minarden New Member

HI KARIM, i am sorry I haven't been around on this forum recently, but since I was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease a few weeks ago, the idea of TMS seems a bit pointless for me, because i don't think that Parkinsons is considered to be TMS I wish it was!!!

I am sorry that I didn't get to see the private conversation that you started with me either..

10. Karim

Karim Peer Supporter

Am talkies about lpr

11. nowa minarden

nowa minarden New Member

I don't understand???????????????

12. fridaynotes

fridaynotes Well known member

I just came upon this because I have been suffering from strange breathing issues since childhood which appear like asthma but many doctors have told me is not really asthma. it's just a very difficult time catching my breath. especially when I try to relax or am trying to go to bed. I did once have an inhaler but it didn't help. it's certainly some sort of nervous constriction due to stress or tiredness or... is it TMS? I have recently come to wonder this. The breathing issue truly brings me fear and focuses ALL my attention on the body, which are hallmarks of classic TMS. I am beginning to figure out how to work with this as a TMS issue. It's feels pretty liberating!