1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Breakthrough regarding conditioned responses

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by lazydaisy, Jun 17, 2016.

1. lazydaisy

lazydaisy Peer Supporter

I have been struggling a bit lately with my TMJ (jaw pain). My jaw gets stuck and is very painful, until I can manipulate it free.

I was thinking: How come I get so much relief when my jaw cracks if the problem isn't structural?

I was free journalling my frustrations, and suddenly I had typed the answer: it feels good because I am expecting it to feel good, just like I am conditioned to pain.

I hadn't realised this before - the relief of pain can be a conditioned response too!

Now I am telling myself, "There is nothing wrong with your jaw, the relief is just a conditioned response" and it seems to be helping.

I am so used to cracking my jaw trying to make it feel better that I still catch myself doing it, but hopefully this breakthrough will lead to a lasting change - behaviour and pain-wise. I always resist free journalling and I shouldn't because sometime what comes out is gold.