1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Brain System

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Sofa, Dec 26, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Sofa

Sofa Well known member

Hello all. Merry Christmas. I'm still toying with some ideas..
    Fact: The brain is the smartest thing in our bodies - by far.
    Fact: But does it control us or do we control IT??
    Fact: I have learned that the "system" cannot set us free..
    Fact: What does this tell us..?

2. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Well, those are really good questions - maybe not facts :=). Unless they are rhetorical, I would take on the first of the two, and leave the more difficult one for someone else, who has more appetite for even deeper philosophy :=). It truly is a chicken-and-egg problem, whether the brain is us and whether brain controls me or I control my brain - unless we postulate that "us" is a symbiotic coexistence of the mind and the body. Here is a simplistic answer: our mind is controlled by the chemicals generated by our body, while our body is controlled by the electric signal produced in the brain by our mind. Cheers! Merry Christmas and happy New Year!

3. Sofa

Sofa Well known member

Hey my friend.
    Fantastic! The brain is ... Us. Fact!!
    I had never thought about this. Happy New year!

4. BloodMoon

BloodMoon Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Sofa,

I can't answer you questions but I was only just the other day thinking of you when I was reading a book by Eric Franklin called 'Grow Younger Daily: The Power of Imagery for Healthy Cells and Timeless Beauty' https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=bBTBDgAAQBAJ&pg=PA3&lpg=PA3&dq=Feltz+and+Landers,+1983;+Murphy,+Nordin,+and+Cumming,+2008;+Richardson,+1967b&source=bl&ots=sNxxFFkzs5&sig=ACfU3U2gzIoYu1dUU3zjK8US97TMnBbEoQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiPlZb1vtjmAhVCgRoKHYHZBLkQ6AEwAnoECAoQAQ#v=onepage&q=Feltz%20and%20Landers%2C%201983%3B%20Murphy%2C%20Nordin%2C%20and%20Cumming%2C%202008%3B%20Richardson%2C%201967b&f=false (Grow Younger Daily). The title makes the book sound somewhat superficial and fluffy, but the contents of the book really aren't imho. In the book the author writes:

“If you want to change your body, start by changing your mind. Research has shown that the most effective way to create changes in your brain is to change your thinking. Such mental interventions influence your immune system and organs in a positive way. These tools are free and always available to you, and have only beneficial side effects, so let’s learn how to use them well.

Thinking, mental imagery, and physicality interact. We become what we imagine, and our imagination reflects our physical state. It is a two-way street. As your body represents the images and words present in your head, your mind will adapt to your posture, movement coordination, and tension level.

A hurdler who is trained in mental imagery can visualize jumping the hurdles quickly and elegantly, making it to the finish line victoriously. A long-distance runner employs imagery to produce a sensation of “flow,” the feeling of “running without trying.” Thus, the running experience becomes a meditation, a prayer to the body’s cells, so to speak. Science has repeatedly shown how imagery is a successful athlete’s number-one mental skill (Feltz and Landers, 1983; Murphy, Nordin, and Cumming, 2008; Richardson, 1967b)."

I thought the above might also appeal to you as - if my memory serves me correctly - you are a runner.

Kindest wishes for a Good New Year!

BloodMoon

JanAtheCPA, plum and Sofa like this.
  5. Sofa

Sofa Well known member

Bloodmoon! Nice to hear from you. Thanks for this excellent link and for distilling the important part for me!

Ill check it out. How are you doing these days? Best regards!

BloodMoon likes this.
  6. BloodMoon

Hi Sofa,

I've had, and continue to have, some health problems that are definitely not TMS related, which have sadly taken me away from this forum...but I'm going to endeavour to get back to TMS work again from now on in the new year.

I do hope you are doing well.

All good wishes,
    BloodMoon

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
    Sofa likes this.
  7. Sofa

Sofa Well known member

Hi Blood moon,
    I'm sorry to hear that. I'll be thinking about you and wishing all the best!
    I've been away from the forum as well because I've been pretty busy. I've been okay, although I did step on a toy tractor with my bare foot this morning. That sure smarted. Toys are something I never thought I'd have to look out for. :)

JanAtheCPA and BloodMoon like this.
  8. BloodMoon

lol Watch out for lego bricks too - they're one of the worst things to step on...And children do so like to 'park' them in adults' shoes! :) Thank you for your best wishes. Here's hoping that 2020 will be a good one for you.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    Sofa likes this.
  9. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

@BloodMoon,

hello my darling.

I popped on to say thank you recommending this book. I’m familiar with Eric Franklin but didn’t know about this gem, which has just arrived in the post. A quick flick through tells me it’ll be a joy to read and explore not the least because it’s chock full of wonderful images to inspire the imagination.

Bless you,

plum ❤️

BloodMoon likes this.
  10. BloodMoon

Hi lovely Plum,

You made my day with your message; thank you for stopping by to tell me you bought the book. I'm so glad you like it :)

I'm reading another book at the moment, which is 'hitting the spot' for me like a sledgehammer - in a good and amazingly profound way (tbh like no other 'self-help' type of book has resonated with me before). I know you are widely read so you will probably have heard of it, it's called 'The Untethered Soul' by Michael A. Singer https://www.amazon.co.uk/Untethered...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=ENC2AFA4HE5REGRNYWWN.

My response to this book may just be that the right 'teacher' (the author of the book) has appeared when I (the 'student') was ready, but I think the 4.7 star rating for amazon reviews probably speaks for itself. I was dubious about it at first as I read that there is mention of God in the book and I am an agnostic, but the references are made in a 'spirit/energy/life force' sort of way. I actually bought the audio course associated with the book and listened to that first of all. The following link is the audio course on amazon, but I bought it from i-tunes as it's a fraction of the price when downloaded from there https://www.amazon.co.uk/Living-Place-Surrender-Untethered-Action/dp/B07XQM8FJ5/ref=sr_1_3?qid=1578172425&refinements=p_27:Michael+Singer&s=books&sr=1-3&text=Michael+Singer.

Michael Singer also has some videos on YouTube too, so anyone interested can get a taster of what he has to offer for free https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=michael+singer (michael singer - YouTube)

It was lovely to hear from you and I do hope you are faring well.

Kindest wishes,

BloodMoon

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    Sofa and plum like this.
  11. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

You are such a wonderful temptress. I have been enjoying a prolonged period of reading fiction. I read a stupid amount of stuff during my ‘trying to heal’ phase and decided to have a break from anything in the mind~body realm, but this sounds like the book to break the fast. (I’m also an audiobook glutton and have a couple of audible credits so I may treat myself to that too.)

Thank you so much for this ❤️

BloodMoon likes this.
  12. BloodMoon

Hi Plum,
    I've never been called a temptress before - I rather like the idea of being a 'book temptress'! lol :)
    I know what you mean about having a break from mind-body stuff - I had to have a rest from it myself for the latter part of last year.
    This message is also just to say that there is an audio version of the actual book itself available on amazon, which you've probably seen and may prefer to the audio course based on the book that I gave the link to in my previous posting. I say this as, judging from the sample I listened to of the audio book - which I noted is read by a narrator rather than by the book's author - it's clearer sounding. (I had to sometimes replay parts of the audio course that's based on the book because it's presented by the author himself and he often talks quite fast).
    Happy listening!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020