1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Boulder Back Pain Study, by Alan Gordon, Howard Schubiner, Christie Uipi and others...

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Forest, Oct 1, 2021.

1. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi everyone,

Four years ago, our community participated in a fundraiser to raise money for a groundbreaking study. It was important enough that, for the first time, I sent an email blast out to everyone who had ever registered for our forum.

Anyway.... if you were around then, you might remember this fundraising video:

That money funded a study that was just released in a prestigious, peer reviewed medical journal.

The best way to get an overview of the study is probably to read the press release from The University of Colorado, Boulder here:
    https://www.colorado.edu/today/2021/09/29/how-therapy-not-pills-can-nix-chronic-pain-and-change-brain (How therapy, not pills, can nix chronic pain and change the brain)

Because this is a Randomized Controlled Trial, and because the results were so strong, this is a big deal for helping to get the word out about TMS.

The outcomes were stunning for just four weeks of care. Pain intensity (on a standard scale of 1-5) dropped dramatically for the PRT group but not for the group that only received a placebo or received "usual care:"

(PRT is the technical term for Alan's form of treatment - it's the form of treatment in the free Multimedia Pain Recovery Program on this site and it's what any of us would recognize as TMS treatment.)

upload_2021-10-1_22-55-28.png

As you can see in the diagram above, the improvements persisted, even in a 12 month follow up↑

In the following diagram, each dot represents an individual patient. The height of the dot represents whether the pain got worse (higher) or better (lower). You can see that some of the usual treatment patients got worse. In contrast, the grey dots for PRT are much lower, and many people receiving PRT had a 100% decrease in symptoms:

upload_2021-10-1_23-1-45.png

Specifically, more than half of the blue PRT group had less than 1% of their original pain, even after a year:
    upload_2021-10-1_23-3-12.png

For conventional pain treatment, these results are unheard of.

This gives the TMS doctors some powerful ammunition in spreading the word about TMS and more people making progress in overcoming their pain.

You can read the full paper here:
    https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamapsychiatry/fullarticle/2784694 (Effect of Pain Reprocessing Therapy vs Placebo and Usual Care for Patients With Chronic Back Pain)

At a certain point, the campaign earned enough money to fund the research study, so as a stretch goal, Alan found a filmmaker to document the study. Funding that project became a stretch goal for the Indiegogo. That film should be coming out soon. More details here: https://painbrainfilm.com/

To help build enthusiasm for the IndieGogo, Alan donated the "Multimedia Pain Recovery Program" at the top of this forum's home page. The first two paragraphs of the first day used to read,
    To help raise awareness around the TMS Study/Documentary Fundraising Campaign that Dr. Schubiner and I are overseeing, I am putting together a 21-day TMS program with the most up-to-date theories, tools, and techniques.

Every day (Monday - Saturday) for the next three weeks, I'll be posting another step in the recovery process.​
    ... So that's where that came from.

Okay, so with that out of the way, where is the 20-minute montage of video recovery stories from study participants I mentioned?

Here you go... Inspiring stuff.... (you may recognize some people from Alan's podcast or book)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
    Sita, TG957 and Ellen like this.
  2. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Forest, this is fantastic! Thank you for posting!

Forest likes this.
  3. Zennie

Zennie Newcomer

How fantastic. Congratulations. I can't believe how fortunate I've been to discover this site. My utmost gratitude to Alan. My gift to him is to tell everybody who will listen to me, there is hope for chronic pain sufferers.

Forest likes this.
  4. Forest

Truly! And now we have a Randomized Controlled Trial with fMRI to back it up!

5. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Thank you for posting this Forest, and for your support on all levels! This study is a huge break-through to help sufferers understand what the mindbody can do and how to work with it.

6. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

Awesome! I was eagerly waiting to see the study since I read Alan’s book. Thanks for posting.

7. Jeslme

Jeslme New Member

I listened to the interview of this study conducted by curable. I am really impressed with the findings of the study and hope this type of treatment can become mainstream very fast!. However something that was said by the doctor interviewed didn't really sit well with me and that is when he said participants that were excluded from the study were people who had more nerve pain down the leg vs the amount of back pain. According to my knowledge tms can manifest itself either in nerves or the back or both according to Dr sarno. I myself at times had mainly sciatica at times.. and then there were times the pain was mainly in the back.. it kind of was all over the place. I've read people on this forum that had worse pain down the leg vs back pain and has recovered.

The mention of those participants that were excluded from the study kind of makes me doubt my recovery journey(mild l5/s1 disk bulge when I experience more sciatic pain vs back pain due to the doc interviewed saying its likely that some other type of neuropathy is going on in those instances.

Can anyone clear this up?

8. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

Hi Jaslme,

I had sciatica in both legs, so I understand what’s going on with you, especially the part about the pain pattern.

What you need to keep in mind is that a bulging disc is absolutely normal and not responsible for your symptoms, according to the American College of Physicians.

See these two videos on pain facts most doctors do not tell their patients.
    https://www.fredamir.com/painfacts

9. Forest

Sciatica can absolutely be TMS. They only excluded it in the study so they could focus on one specific diagnosis. The same approach is definitely applicable to many other diagnoses as well.