1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Booyah! I Have Back Pain!

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Tennis Tom, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

A couple of days ago I felt a sore spot at my left lower back, like a side-stitch. It has now spread to my middle lower back. I'm moving slowly, it's cold outside and I don't feel like playing tennis or my pool work. I can now do some TMS science for the holidaze--this is better then getting an Erector or a toy chemistry set for Christmas--but not as good as a fire engine.

[​IMG]

Happy Holidaze,
    tt/lsmft

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  2. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Peer Supporter

Tennis Tom, sending you prayers for your way out of the maze that is pain...during the Holy Daze.

Tennis Tom likes this.
  3. Tennis Tom

Thank you very much for your kind words! I'm looking forward to viewing this as a TMS attack and playing with my sub-c gremlin. I'm going to check the Holmes-Rahe for stressors, recent and in the past year. I've been working on the computer and the phone all morning from bed and no pain. Time to get up and down to the hot-tub and pool to see how the TMS gremlin likes getting wet--and interacting with the denizens of the deep.

Cheers,
    tt

4. Tennis Tom

I did my normal pool routine, 30 minutes of running with a flotation belt and 15 minutes of backstroke, and didn't feel any back pain. Did an extended hot-tub and read a few pages of Monte Hueftle's old TMS book "GET RID OF THAT PAIN IN YOUR BUTT". It's a good little TMS book from a marathoner's perspective. It's interesting that he references things as "bodymind" versus others who say "mindbody". It's probably because he's a marathon runner and comes to TMS from an athletic perspective. I landed on the page where Monte talkes about Caroline Myss and Candace Pert to explain the biochemical aspect of TMS transporting emotional messages around the body and sometimes storing them as TMS pain.

5. Tennis Tom

Woke up this morning and haven't thought about my "new pain"--slept well. Didn't think about it while making the coffee, and doing the dishes from last night. Off to play some tennis at 9:am indoors (it's cold here) with some fossils. Maybe some shopping at Target, BevMo and Home Depot after that, if I have some energy left, or manana-- (and, if the flash mob riots have dissipated--there was a stabbing death at a Target in Hayward yesterday). Don't feel any pain in my "new-spots", left waist and lower back.

ack.[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  6. Tennis Tom

So I checked out the Holmes-Rahe for emotionally charged issues that have occurred recently and in the last year that could have created my new back-pain. I hi-lited the possibles and if my phone did the math right, came up with a score of 185. This placed me in the moderate risk category. I believe my new soreness is TMS . I played some moderate tennis in the morning, and then some shopping. Had a nice chat with a friend of mine at the club bar that I felt good about. I only felt a twinge of pain when going to a full stretch hitting second serves, which I feel would have gone away if I were fully warmed up. I don't feel the pain now and think it will be gone by tomorrow--I hope.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale (Holmes and Rahe stress scale - Wikipedia)

To measure stress according to the Holmes and Rahe Stress Scale, the number of "Life Change Units" that apply to events in the past year of an individual's life are added and the final score will give a rough estimate of how stress affects health.

Life event Life change units
    Death of a spouse 100
    Divorce 73
    Marital separation 65
    Imprisonment 63
    Death of a close family member 63
    Personal injury or illness 53
    Marriage 50
    Dismissal from work 47
    Marital reconciliation 45
    Retirement 45
    Change in health of family member 44
    Pregnancy 40
    Sexual difficulties 39
    Gain a new family member 39
    Business readjustment 39
    Change in financial state 38
    Death of a close friend 37
    Change to different line of work 36
    Change in frequency of arguments 35
    Major mortgage 32
    Foreclosure of mortgage or loan 30
    Change in responsibilities at work 29
    Child leaving home 29
    Trouble with in-laws 29
    Outstanding personal achievement 28
    Spouse starts or stops work 26
    Beginning or end school 26
    Change in living conditions 25
    Revision of personal habits 24
    Trouble with boss 23
    Change in working hours or conditions 20
    Change in residence 20
    Change in schools 20
    Change in recreation 19
    Change in church activities 19
    Change in social activities 18
    Minor mortgage or loan 17
    Change in sleeping habits 16
    Change in number of family reunions 15

Change in eating habits 15
    Vacation 13
    Major Holiday 12
    Minor violation of law 11

Score of 300+
    : At risk of illness.

Score of 150-299: Risk of illness is moderate (reduced by 30% from the above risk).

Score <150: Only have a slight risk of illness.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  7. Tennis Tom

Woke up this morning with no thought of my "new back pain", made the coffee, perused the usual web-sites, and then thought oh yeah, what about my new-back-pain? I'll test it later in the pool doing the back-stroke, which should bring it to a full stretch.

[​IMG]

8. Tennis Tom

The late-pain is gone in a few days! Tested it in the pool today, doing the back-stroke with full extention from the waist. Booyah! A potential TMS spot warded off by OnTheRoad's prayer for me, and TMS thinking--no doctors, PT, chiros, or accus--I did want to use up a couple of massage gift-certificates but didn't get a chance to.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  9. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Great blow-by-blow account Tom. I am sure this is very instructional for anyone who reads it. I am glad you applied what you know, and it worked quickly!

Tennis Tom likes this.