1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Bone Density Results

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by eightball776, Nov 2, 2019.

1. eightball776

eightball776 Well known member

Hey All,
    It’s been a while since I’ve posted anything, but some of the regulars ‘round these parts might be familiar with my previous rantings. These days I’m getting very close to the point at which I no longer have any hope of reaching a psychological solution to my LBP, and am trying my best to find a way to squeeze some small bit of joy from an existence that is dominated by constant pain. I am doing my very best to come to terms with being handicapped, but when I can’t comfortably sit, stand, or walk, it doesn’t leave too many options.

One of the reasons the only neurosurgeon available to me did not want to proceed with a multi-level spinal fusion was because of my long-term dependency on Prednisone, and what it's already done to my bones, therefore increasing the likelihood of complications and difficulty healing. I was never seriously considering a fusion after reviewing the data, but was interested in less invasive surgical options like the microdiscectomy. As my leg pain has worsened and the symptoms have begun to match exactly what those procedures are often successful in treating, I have become much more interested in that option.

So anyway...why am I posting here today....I took another look at the results of my last Bone Density scan last night and the part about my left hip & L1-L4 AP spine area being reduced another -4% in the last 16 months jumped out at me. The low-left back/left leg/hip is the main problem area, so this would be more evidence of a 'mechanical' problem at the source of the pain. Is this a common result for folks experiencing pain from a "pinched nerve" or TMS or any of this crap I wonder?

Is the pain from an inflammatory process connected to the underlying autoimmune disorder, and therefore possible to cure by reducing the inflammation? Assuming for a moment that it has been this "nerve root impingement" that's been responsible for all of this pain...since enough Prednisone eliminates it, would it disappear completely if the surrounding swelling/inflammation were reduced? However I am starting to think that it may not be possible to control the systemic inflammation, and therefore it might make sense to go back to the surgical options...Maybe there's a chance I might be able to squeeze a couple of good years out of what's left of my 40s. Of course that's assuming I can even find a decent surgeon willing to operate on someone with all of the risk I bring into the OR.

Am I under tremendous stress? A perfectionist? Am I struggling to keep the clinical depression at bay in spite of the wrecking ball this chronic pain has smashed through every aspect of what was supposed to be the prime of my life? Yes, all of the above. Yet I feel like I understand TMS well enough at this stage to know how to resolve it, and the fact that I've been totally unable to (quite unlike the remarkable success I had as a patient of Dr. Sarno's 25 years ago) has left me searching for other answers. I'm just about completely convinced at this point that those psychological factors are contributing very little to this problem today. I feel like all of my anger, stress, etc., repressed or otherwise, are the result of the pain rather than the source of it.

Anyway, I'm not sure there's a question in here or if I'm just ranting, but I would like to hear about some other folks' experiences with the whole Bone Density/Osteoporosis thing & the connection to some of these symptoms. I often hear that Osteoporosis rarely if ever is a direct source of pain, yet there must be some reason why this one area of my body just happens to be where the biggest reduction in bone density has been discovered. Any input appreciated.

2. sarah555uk

sarah555uk Peer Supporter

Hi

If prednisone works for you, why not give Low dose naltrexone a try? It is an anti inflammatory and also prescribed for pain. It's not a conventional medication but it is basically risk free. You can take anything with it apart from opioids. I believe in trying everything there is before pursuing surgery