1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Body scan - relaxing muscular tension

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Mountain Girl, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Mountain Girl

Mountain Girl Peer Supporter

I'm going to copy this exercise from the Relaxation & Stress Reduction Workbook as I think it will be very effective for me and perhaps others too. The following is taken from this workbook.

The goal of this exercise is for you to open to each part of your body, notice any sensation that is present, and let go of tension in your body.

A. Begin by becoming aware of the rising and falling of your breath in your chest and belly. You can ride the waves of your breath and let it begin to anchor you to the present moment.

B. Bring your attention to the soles of your feet. Notice any sensation that is present there. Without judging or trying to make it different, simply be present with the sensation. After a few moments imagine that your breath is flowing into the soles of your feet. As you breathe in and out you might experience an opening or softening and a release of tension. Just simply observe with no expectations.

C. Now bring your attention to the rest of your feet, up to your ankles. Become aware of any sensation in this part of your body. After a few moments imagine that your breath, instead of stopping at the diaphragm, flows all the way down to your feet. Breathe into and out of your feet, simply noticing the sensations.

D. Proceed up your body in this manner with all the parts of your body--lower legs, knees, upper legs, pelvis, hips and buttocks, lower back, upper back, chest and belly, upper shoulders, neck, head, and face. Take your time as you really feel each body part and notice whatever sensations are present, without forcing them or trying to make them be different, then breathe into the body part and let go of it as you move on to the next body part.

E. Go back to your neck and shoulders or any place that has pain, tension, or discomfort. Simply be with the sensations in a non-judging way. As you breathe, imagine the breath opening up any tight muscles or painful areas and creating more spaciousness. As you breathe out imagine the tension or pain flowing out.

F. When you reach the top of your body, scan your body one last time for any areas of tension or discomfort. Then imagine that you have a breath hole at the top of your head, much like that of a whale or dolphin. Breathe in from the top of your head, bringing the breath all the way down to the soles of your feet and up again. Allow your breath to wash away tension or uncomfortable sensations.

The entire body scan can take anywhere from a few minutes to thirty minutes. Ideally, try to allow for twenty to thirty minutes to complete a body scan each day.

Gigalos likes this.
  2. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

Great exercise. I prefer to do it on my bed right before I go to sleep. Haven't done it for a while so thanks for the reminder :)