1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

bloating/ constipation

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Nana, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Nana

Nana Peer Supporter

I have suffered a few times in my life with ibs usually lasting a few months. I have been well for a few years but 4 weeks ago I had my gallbladder removed and I am having bloating , digestive issues and constioation which are all reminiscent of ibs . I have soooo much fear. In the past the ibs dissapeared with me getting active like working ( I am a stay at home mom) as a therapist or with ssri’ s or once even with intense meditation. But now due to COVID I can not distract myself from the ibs as efficiently as in the past times. I have read 1 book from DrSarno and it resonates so much with me. I suffer from anxiety with depression on/off. I just learnt about TMS 2 weeks ago. My doubt is that I have not read about many people recovering from ibs, mostly recovered from physical pains in the limbs and back. My doctor says that I should be fine . In February they saw that I had mild chronic gastritis with mild h pylori. I was treated with hpylori and I had 2 negative outcome from hpylori but I still feel my digestion’s are off with mild aversion to fatty foods (I believe it could be from my fear of nausea). My doctor does not believe that my symptoms are from the mild gastritis as the pylori is gone and most people have mild gastritis with no pain or discomfort. After having an MRI of the abdomen and ultrasound The doctors said I had 2 small stones in gb and that could be causing the nausea so I had it removed 1 month ago but I have a feeling that it could have all been all tms. I found only mild relief. Now I have constipation and severe bloating and before I did not. I can not do anything without thinking about my bowels/ stomach. I feel sooooo bloated and this brings me sooo down.
    I have been a super over achiever in my teenage years . I had the best mark in school amongst 120 students in my grade. I put sooooo much pressure on myself when I was young. I would lose appetite and weight from the anxiety from exams to the point that I was terrified to do the tests even though I had studied day and night. Now at 45 years old I have been suffering from the consequences of all this. Could tms cause this bloating/ digestive problems/ constipation? I have been doing sooo well during the last 5-6 years but since covid and surgery I find I am obsessing and feeling physically and emotional horrible. Oh I have been on ssris and seroquel for some years now.
    Thank you

TrustIt likes this.
  2. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

What you describe could certainly be TMS but could also be a side effect of the Seroquel and even the surgery. Have you increased the dose or made any changes in meds? They are notorious for constipation. Have you changed your diet? If everything has been ruled out, then it points to TMS. You have definitely been under a lot of stress lately so it's not surprising at all you would have these kinds of symptoms. If you can relax and create safety for yourself that would be the first step. Then try to find ways of bringing more joy, fun and relaxation into your life...even if it's in small and gradual ways...it's so important.

backhand likes this.
  3. sorella23

sorella23 New Member

I have sciatica pain that has brought me to the ER twice as the pain was so bad. Besides it costing me 500 per visit, it offered only a temporary solution. With steroids, I had a week without pain placebo perhaps but relief is relief! Then I started getting very constipated in addition to my pain. When I would finally go I would aggravate a hemerrhoid and bleed. I felt gross and I flipped out my husband a nurse. He insisted I go to ER again. So now I have hospital bills but no long term cure. Trying to do the curable program but feeling desperate. I use meds to sleep and am otherwise crying all night. The meditations help but I am so worn out!

4. Amber

Amber New Member

I.

I don't know if this would help you, but I have had constipation, bloating my whole life, and several friends have suggested MCT oil just for general health. I finally tries it and it cured my constipation and bloating, plus other health issues. It wouldn't hurt to give it a try.

5. Nana

Nana Peer Supporter

Sorry Amber what does MCT oil stand for? How do you take it ?

6. ARP

ARP New Member

MCT is just a different name for a type of coconut oil.

Constipation and bloating can 100% be caused by stress and/or TMS personality type. Particularly, bloating (if there isn't massive gas present) can be caused simply by constipation. It sounds like you have a lot going on in your GI tract so it may be best to try to link with a dietitatin (instead of a GI doc) to see if they can help you pinpoint if there is a specific issue causing your constipation (I agree with the above comment that your medication could be the culprit as it depresses your nervous system), but constipation and bloating can also be unrelated to physiology as much as our emotional health.

Sorry, not the most helpful comment but it sounds like you are dealing with a lot; I just want to confirm that GI health is 100% correlated to emotional health and TMS forms of healing so even though you aren't seeing that in Dr. John Sarno's book, it is definitely relevant and touched on moreso in Steve Ozanich's book "The Great Pain Deception"

TrustIt likes this.
  7. Nana

Nana Peer Supporter

Thank you soooo much !!! You are soooo kind. It is frustrating bc one mostly hears about back or physical pains.

TrustIt likes this.
  8. ARP

ARP New Member

TrustIt likes this.
  9. TrustIt

TrustIt Well known member

thank you so much for posting this link, ARP! it helped me tremendously! i have so much "undigested" around control, guilt, and not being able to help someone else no matter what i say or do. i don't know if it is partially the dismissal i feel when someone doesn't take my advice on something i strongly feel would help them, or if it's that i feel such lack of control and powerlessness. probably all of the above. i am learning to take care of this little girl who simply could not do anything to keep my mother, then my brother, then my sister alive...right in a row in a short amount of time. now to start working with this revelation.

Lotus likes this.
  10. TrustIt

Amber: off topic slightly, but do you happen to know if mct oil goes rancid quickly, like seed oils? i have some i would like to try as you suggest, but it has been on my counter for a couple of months now. don't want to throw it away, it's not cheap! but also don't want to use it if it's bad obviously.

11. Amber

Amber New Member

I did research that and the info I got was that it won't spoil. I only use a tablespoon a day so the bottle I use has been out for over a month. I am amazed at this stuff. I have so many digestive issues and this cleared up constipation, bloating, etc. I wish I had tried it years ago. I'm sure that most of my digestive issues are TMS, but that can also cause biological damage from all of the chemical changes in the body TMS causes.
    Getting back to shelf life, I think I read it can be out for a year. I know coconut oil can. I would research it further, though.
    Take care!

TrustIt likes this.
  12. TrustIt

thank you so much! i will try it along with my tms work!