1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Big step with trepidation- Salsa dancing

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by yvettemariabetancourt, Apr 11, 2014.

1. yvettemariabetancourt

yvettemariabetancourt Peer Supporter

For the last 6 months I have avoided salsa after some major back issues and relapses. Though I have taken lessons and danced for 3 years without incident, I became convinced that salsa might be aggravating my symptoms and possibly causing them. The logic did not make sense, but I was terrified to dance. The worst part is I LOVE salsa to no end. It makes me feel alive and vibrant. It engages the mind and connects two people and whole room in a way not many things to do for me. Also, it is my main social circle in a small mountain town, so not attending has been downright depressing.

After starting the TMS program recently, I have been doing real well. I decided to go to our weekly social dance last night. I wore a girdle sort of thing to keep my back stable and found myself really, really nervous. I had a fancy cocktail, started dancing and thought I thought I felt pain, but I kept on dancing and told myself it was nothing. I took breaks and took photos of people dancing (I am the appointed salsa club photographer) but went right back to dancing. I had decided to stay for an hour but stayed for 2. When I left, I was convinced BOTH my neck and back hurt, but I rode my bike home, relaxed a bit and went to sleep. Feel good this morning.

I am going to watch the Sarno DVD again today. Need reinforcement I am OK.

I was so happy last night but fear is pretty powerful adversary.

2. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

I love this story, you are doing exactly what your supposed to be doing. Getting back to what you love to do. Fear is only an emotion of what ifs and when is it going to happen.

Don't worry about what ifs, you got that covered when you danced. And the fear of when is something bad going to happen, well if it was going to happen it would have. You beat the fear emotion already. Your the winner. Your doing all the right stuff. Never back away, your winning.
    Bless You

nowtimecoach likes this.
  3. nowtimecoach

nowtimecoach Well known member

Dance baby Dance!!!danceadancea

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.