1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Best book for person brand new to TMS

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by WantToBelieve, Sep 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. WantToBelieve

WantToBelieve Peer Supporter

Hi...I'm looking for a book to give to my friend that has chronic migraines, back pain, and neck pain. I'm certain it's roots are in TMS. I, know I could start her with Dr Sarno's Healing Back Pain, but that book really turned me off when I initially read it because of all the talk about suppressed rage. I'm not opposed to starting her with that book, but wondered if others felt a different book could get the TMS message across in a way that related to you more. For me, The Great Pain Deception was that book, but I had already been through my TMS doctor's writing and discussion class on TMS. I wasn't knew to the TMS concept. I think The Great Pain Deception would not be a good place to start her out.

What aboout the Mindbody Perscription? I'm forgetting how that book is laid out. Or should I just start her with Healing Back Pain?

Thanks!

Saffron likes this.
  2. Un0wut2du

Un0wut2du Peer Supporter

"Mind Body Prescription." Dr. John Sarno. That's my pick.

Then @Steve Ozanich 's "Great Pain Deception" for a first hand account and display of the hard work required. If you are looking for a quick fix however, it does not exist. This is work.

3. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

Healing Back Pain is what answered all my questions about my pain, how it started, became chronic, moved around, etc. and I still consider it the best book to introduce someone to TMS.

I understand your reservations about repressed rage but that is in all of Dr. Sarno's books.

Another approach I have found helpful is to share the 20/20 story about Dr. Saro on YouTube. That gets them thinking and creates the interest to read the book.