1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1 Best Book Ever

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Beasontech, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Beasontech

Beasontech New Member

Day 1

I just finished Healing Back Pain and I am 99% pain free. I read the book slowly, it took about 3 weeks, reading a few pages a day. After the first 2 or 3 days, I began to feel relief. During the duration of my reading of the book, my symptoms subsided. In a very real way. TMS manifests itself in me as extreme tightness in my shoulders, neck, upper back, and upper arms, lower back and buttocks. As I read the book and gained the knowledge, I felt the tightness subside by an itching in the muscles that were loosening up. The first muscles to loosen up were the last ones to join in on the TMS party. As I explore my emotions and become used to "feeling" them rather than pushing them away, the "older" tightnesses are loosening up. Its like the layers of tension are peeling away, the newest layers first. The first few days, the muscles loosening up itched a lot. It would have been agrivating, except I felt pure joy, because I KNEW what was happening. I finished the book yesterday. The last 2 days I have slept without pain in my shoulders, the pain that usually wakes me after 5 or 6 hours of sleep is totaly gone and I was able to sleep in on a Saturday! I am still feeling itching, and loosening of muscles....that I didnt realize were tight, I guess because I had grown desensitized to the pain and tightness. In this first post I am supposed to mention any doubts or worries, but I really dont feel like I have any. I read the book. It was like a manual about me. I applied the principles and I am feeling and living the results. I wish I would have found this book sooner!

Question To Ponder

What would a life without TMS mean to you?

It would mean freedom to do things I have been scared or cautious to do. It would mean peaceful, restful sleep. It would mean freedom from feeling tightness in my shoulders all day.

EileenS and JanAtheCPA like this.
  2. rsiman

rsiman Peer Supporter

I am super jealous, I read Mind body prescription but it didn't do much for me, maybe I should try the other book

3. Beasontech

Beasontech New Member

I think that some people have a subconscious that is really good at stopping them from uncovering its tricks. Keep working at it. As soon as the subconscious realizes its tricks are known, the symptoms should begin to go away. You may need to consult a TMS doctor and maybe go to a lecture or maybe therapy. Dr. Sarno reads Healing Back Pain on youtube,maybe try that. Most importantly, dont feed the physical pain. I threw away all back pain creams(the only thing that was providing relief) and put all of my massagers and things of that nature away. I firmly began living as if my pain and tightness was not a real thing, just a distraction from my emotions and I began to unwind. I hope this helps :)

4. rsiman

rsiman Peer Supporter

How much do TMS doctors cost? I don't see that anywhere

5. nowtimecoach

nowtimecoach Well known member

Hi rsiman! TMS doctors and coaches all charge different prices. Don't give up on the tms relief if Sarno's book didn't work for you. I found that I took the things that made sense for me and left the rest. Its all about building awareness and anyway you can do that and start reframing the pain, the sooner you'll be able to feel differently. I had great success with Unlearn Your Pain by Dr. Schubiner and doing the structured program here on this site.

Kevin Barry and Beasontech like this.
  6. BloodMoon

BloodMoon Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi @nowtimecoach,
    Is Unlearn Your Pain similar to the structured programme or are there some significant differences? I'm trying to decide what I think might best 'hit the spot' for me personally. Thanks in advance.

7. nowtimecoach

nowtimecoach Well known member

I did the structured program on this wiki to begin with and after I finished that program and still experiencing TMS pain, I dove into Unlearn Your Pain which was more indepth and requires more time commitment. But it was worth every minute. Never give up!

BloodMoon likes this.
  8. EileenS

EileenS Well known member

Do read Healing Back Pain. I read Mind Body Prescription first as well. I find Healing Back Pain is a better manual/guide. It is short, but full of details of advice. I borrowed both as audiobooks from the library and I listen to Healing Back Pain once in awhile as reinforcement. It's amazing the tricks my subconscious mind plays. The first time I listened to it I thought, "This book doesn't apply to me because I have neck and shoulder pain and digestive issues." Next time I listened was probably when I realized it constantly refers to neck and shoulders. I listened to it last week for the first time in a year because I was about 97% better and wanted it all gone. This time listening to it I find almost every sentence a gem of information and I am finding it easy to get my mind to accept Sarno's rules. Consequently, the last of the pain is going away.

Lizzy and nowtimecoach like this.
  9. EileenS

EileenS Well known member

Hi BloodMoon, Have you done the structured program on this site and the Pain Recovery Program program? I did Unlearn Your Pain first and it was very good at getting me to unearth my past, but I think doing the two programs on this site are better because of the support of other people you get. If you haven't done any program, then just start. Don't look for what 'hits the spot' because that's probably your subconscious making you stall.

BloodMoon and nowtimecoach like this.
  10. BloodMoon

BloodMoon Beloved Grand Eagle

No, I haven't done either of them. I've read through them both and was about to start proper, but then someone mentioned 'Unlearn Your Pain' and I thought that it might suit my circumstances better to work in a book. I know that I'm more liable to pick up a book and do the work in it than I am to work from a screen and on a screen, albeit I could use a notebook - I take your point about my subconscious making me stall though - I think you may well have hit the nail on the head!

Many thanks to you and to @nowtimecoach for your replies.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    EileenS likes this.
  11. ciciho

ciciho New Member

I also felt more In tuned with healing back pain

If you go on YouTube and type in healing back pain full PDF copy there’s a video that has the whole book in the description