1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Daniel L. benign fasciculation syndrome

Discussion in 'Ask a TMS Therapist' started by dtsierra06, Oct 13, 2015.

1. dtsierra06

dtsierra06 New Member

This question was submitted via our Ask a TMS Therapist program. To submit your question, click here.

Question
    Hi! I am 33 year old female. I first started having pain, mostly in my gluteus but also goes around my hip and in my groin about nine months after my baby passed away (About 2 1/2 years ago). Since then I am been in pain daily, stopped exercising and doing things i enjoy. I have just been told the issue is my SI joint and that I have pelvic instability. I have tried everything, and nothing helps the pain other than to not move much. I had another child since then, and about two months after she was born I started having twitching, myoclonic jerks, sleep paralysis, involuntary swallowing and a bunch of other weird stuff. The neurologist diagnosed it as benign fasciculation syndrome and said a cause is unknown and there is no treatment. I am depressed about my situation. My hip/butt hurt all of the time, and now I've got these other issues with the twitching, etc. Does this sound like TMS? I was reading one of Dr. Sarno's books and the personality fits me perfectly. I overthink everything, and have always been anxious. Where do I go from here? Thanks so much!
    Tiffany

2. Daniel G Lyman LCSW

Daniel G Lyman LCSW TMS Therapist

Answer
    First of all let me say that I hope you give yourself credit for how much difficulty you’ve faced in the last few years. I am truly sorry for the loss of your baby. Self-compassion is one of the most important things for us TMS-ers to learn. Take some time to reflect on what you've been through and how that might be affecting you now.

To answer your first question, yes it sounds like TMS. Both in the symptoms themselves, the diagnosis from the doctor, and when these symptoms have occurred. That said, I’d encourage you to see a TMS physician if possible – even if that means flying somewhere to see one.

To answer your second question, if you have not yet seen a therapist, I recommend you do so. With the trauma that you’ve endured, it is not surprising that you’d be reacting so strongly with physical ailments. Getting help navigating through that difficult time is really important – especially for us TMS people. Beyond that, I would immerse yourself in the TMS world as much as possible. Read more books (there are so many – I’d recommend Howard Schubiner’s ‘Unlearn Your Pain’), and peruse the Wiki (go through the recovery program). The more you learn about TMS, the more your confidence in the diagnosis will grow. As that happens, you will begin to feel better.

If you have more specific questions, feel free to message me here on the wiki, or email me at: danielglyman@gmail.com

Any advice or information provided here does not and is not intended to be and should not be taken to constitute specific professional or psychological advice given to any group or individual. This general advice is provided with the guidance that any person who believes that they may be suffering from any medical, psychological, or mindbody condition should seek professional advice from a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions. No general advice provided here should be taken to replace or in any way contradict advice provided by a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions.

The general advice and information provided in this format is for informational purposes only and cannot serve as a way to screen for, identify, or diagnose depression, anxiety, or other psychological conditions. If you feel you may be suffering from any of these conditions please contact a licensed mental health practitioner for an in-person consultation.

Questions may be edited for brevity and/or readability.