1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Beliefs and how to change

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Eric "Herbie" Watson, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

When working with any limiting belief, your goal is to
    get from your present state to your desired state. The first
    and most important step is to identify your desired state.
    You need to have a clear representation of your outcome.
    For instance, if you are in intense pain, you'll need
    to consider who you'll be and what you'll do in your
    relationships, work life, recreation, etc. when you no longer
    have pain. Once you've set your outcome,
    you've already started the change process because your brain
    is a cybernetic mechanism. This means that once you are clear
    about your goal your brain will organize your unconscious
    behavior to achieve it. You'll begin to automatically get
    self-corrective feedback to keep yourself on track toward your desired
    outcome.

Guava likes this.
  2. Becca

Becca Well known member

This is really interesting. Is this from the same book as the quote from your post on the importance of goals? Robert Dilts, I think was the author...? (I ask because it seems very similar!)

It certainly makes sense to me that real change can only happen if you know what you are working towards. I am curious, though -- is it enough to say "I want to be free from this pain?" Or must we think about what it would actually mean to be free from the pain in order to be successful? (I really don't know the answer, I'm just wondering!)

3. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Yes, this is inspired by Robert Dilts with a mixture of Sarnos understanding -
    Robert Dilts is a mentor of mine on my board of advisors- napoleon hill
    now to your question-
    its like me , when I was in recovery from the very beginning - I imagined myself better-
    I thought about how id spend more time with my family and friends as a person full of
    energy with no pain and fully ecstatic about life as I do now-
    I knew this was a way to get my brain to giving me the feedback I needed because it was part
    of a thing called faith that id used so much in the past
    if I wanted something id imagine myself having that something
    I felt it, I believed it , I expected it
    if I prayed for someone to be healed I imagined they were already healed and felt it, sensed it
    this part was done and is done everyday in my life- I see it happening and feel it, just get excited about it
    if I wanted my body to look a certain way when I exercised id imagine and actually feel and hear using all my senses
    to generate this thought, emotion and sense into habit which in time id always wind up right where I was expecting
    as stated above I did the same thing with my tms healing I imagined every thing I learned was true and it was,
    I imagined the feelings, sense and thoughts of being active and now I am
    it took some time but if we don't first see it in our mind then how do we duplicate the picture
    its like Olympic lifters and athletes-they see the jump being done before they do it and its usually done
    I cant remember her name but a beauty pageant- I think it was Ms. America and she was asked how
    did she feel to have the crown
    she said it felt normal cause she had imagined and practiced seeing all the people giving applause
    and cheering her own a thousand times before she won the crown-and after she had won the crown that was her reply-
    now if we have this mind-set and do the exercises laid out by Sarno and Gordon, Ozanich and all those greats we got a solid foundation-
    it always starts with believing though or as Sarno says an understanding

4. Guava

Guava Peer Supporter

Thank you so much for this post! Will definately use this kind of thinking! :)

5. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Thanks Guave, it is a miracle of a Mind we have been blessed with
    thank god for the giants shoulders we stand on