1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Being with your Pain

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Boston Redsox, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

Let me ask tms family, don't you think it's important part of healing if we can just sit with our pain and acknowledge it. Instead of always trying to be occupied to avoid it. Is this not resistance ?

2. Markus

Markus Guest

So I will understand, when you say "sit with our pain" and acknowledge it, do you mean feel it acknowledge it, but stop trying so hard to get rid of it??? My pain comes from different areas,different reasons,and I do sit with it. But I don't work 24/7 at trying to get rid of it. I do work at visualizing me healthy and whole. If I were single, tms and it's requirements would be easier to follow. But I have numerous distractions, so I can't always try to get rid of it! It's a challenging question,I find for certain.

3. Boston Redsox

No don't try to get rid of it that would just make things worse....no I mean just sit with it and except it in the present moment. I think we tmsers try to distract our selfs from out pain so we don't have to face it....sort of speak .

4. lexylucy

lexylucy Well known member

Yes I do this. I sink in to the pain. And then I can hear it talking to me. :)

5. Mala

Mala Well known member

Marco, interesting question. I think it works differently for different ppl.

For some it is easier to ignore the pain & be more mindful about other things that they r doing?

For others accepting the pain & allowing it to just be is the key. The pain no longer bothers them and you come to terms with it. This link is an interview with Vidyamala Burch who explains how she has come to accept her chronic pain (she is in a wheelchair now) which is an inevitable part of her life now.

I have also read somewhere recently that it is good for some pain patients to day dream or use their imagination to transport themselves somewhere else as this takes them away from their pain which is different from mindfullness as we know it.

In mindfullness meditation we are taught to just sit & focus on the breath & allow any sensation whether good or bad to just float away without judgement.

These are all useful tools & maybe they can be applied at different times depending on the situation u r in & how u r feeling.

What do u think works best for u?

Mala

6. lexylucy

lexylucy Well known member

7. Boston Redsox

For me it's being with the pain not really ignoring it ... I think that is a form of resistance ? I acknowledge it there and move on.

It has not stopped me from doing what I want. Whether I have a good day or a bad day I try not to react or be different either way I have found this help me from the high and lows of tms healing.

How about you Marla

8. Mala

Mala Well known member

Marco, i like to ignore it but I am practising some mindful meditation in the hope I can just let it be. Its hard being mindful especially when u r trying hard to be mindful.:D

Mala

9. Boston Redsox

;) so true…love the book you suggested You are the Palcebo…regarding the pain I guess I mean acknowledge its there but don't give it any power and most importantly do not resist it.

10. Mala

Mala Well known member

Glad u liked the book. I love it & I love the way he gives a scientific twist to it all. I also like his videos & the way he presents his information so that it makes a lot of sense & is easy to follow.

Laters,

Mala

Boston Redsox likes this.