1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 9 Being self-critical

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Lidsmichelle, May 17, 2019.

1. Lidsmichelle

Lidsmichelle New Member

I wouldn’t say lately I’ve been more self-critical than normal, but I am often self-critical. I have a need to please people and if I feel like I could have even vaguely upset someone I tend to self-flagellate. You’re too much, you’re annoying, you probably are overreacting.

I have pretty low self-esteem too.

2. hecate105

hecate105 Beloved Grand Eagle

Maybe journal about this, try to find out why you react this way... Perhaps you had a demanding parent or an over-achieving sibling, or maybe your family pattern is to be self critical. Journalling is often a good way to find out these things - just start writing whatever is on your mind and see where it takes you - it sort of 'zooms' off and you can end up finding out all sorts about yourself and your family. Also try not to react to what you see - it is so easy to react and be self critical or critical of our family members - but it is far more helpful in the long run to 'observe' and then try and understand why they/you react in certain ways. Slowly we get to see and read how we all get to the place we are at - why we react, what 'buttons have been pressed, and then we can look at ourselves and others with compassion and decide what we can do to improve things so that we can move forward without so much negative criticism and start being tolerant, kind and loving to ourselves and others. There's also that 'Accept the things i cannot change, change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference' thing...!! good luck - be kind to your self!

Lidsmichelle likes this.