1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 2 Being Brave

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Wrighty23, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Wrighty23

Wrighty23 New Member

Hi All,

After suffering from chronic Sciatic pain for 6 months I have read up on TMS and embarked on this program.

Yesterday was a funny one because I had the pain badly all day but as I have found the more physically active I can be the better, so i booked myself on the local boxercise class. Once I got home from work I was in really bad pain, I cried and then screamed/shouted in to a pillow. Then half an hour later and feeling in no condition for vigorous exercise I was in class giving it 100%.

One particular 'condition' or fear that I have is doing sit ups, the last few attempts i couldn't bring myself to do one single sit up. I did take it easy and was in quite a bit of pain but I managed a few and that's a start.

When I when to bed I felt pain free, relaxed and pretty happy. Unfortunately it did not last, I woke several times in real pain and had to keep popping the pain killers.

Now today despite the usual pain and finding it painful to walk I managed a 3 mile jog! It hurt like hell to begin with. I stopped a few times and thought about turning back but persevered and i'm glad i did! the last 2/3rds of the jog was close to pain free proving to myself that it is TMS. I'm sure my unconsious mind will get the message soon.

As i write this sitting down I have some pain but i guess it's just a matter of time to break down these 'conditions' one by one.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Wrighty, you did great. It must make you feel very good, confidence-building, that despite the pain you went to the exercise class and took the 3-mile jog.
    Steve Ozanich says that's how his pains went away, from continuing to be active, playing golf despite the pain. It finally went away as he kept his total belief that it was TMS.

3. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

I too had that fear of doing set-ups, it was my last boundary to overcome in my exercise protocol and now I do leg ups and knee ups. Decline set-ups and weighted set-ups with no problem at planet fitness. The limitation is as you know the conditioning of that six inch space between your ears. You keep at it and you will win, just remember to think psychological about all you think about and catch your reactions to fear and reframe it to a better meaning that you can accept ok.

Remember Writey23, its the emotions you need to tend to when you are hurting ok, it's the psychological work that is going to get you all straightened out -- not the physical ok. It's good to resume activities to show yourself that you are not broken but sometimes we get mixed up and think doing the workouts is going to heal us, it's not the workouts that heal, although they do give you hope and build back muscle that has been atrophied -- it will always be the emotional work like watching your reactions and enjoying yourself, getting back to nature and so forth, that is the main healing elements when you know how to keep yourself at peace in your mind without your mind controlling your peace, you get it right? Now with that said you are doing great, bless you.

You did great on your jog, congratulations and yes it is just a matter of time, stay the course, Awesome.

4. srton

srton Well known member

wow! so impressive!!! keep it up!!!

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  5. Wrighty23

Wrighty23 New Member

Thank you all for your advice and words of encouragement. After this successful day I have to report that I had a very painful night. For me the struggle is dealing with the emotions, but i'll get there.

Good luck to everyone else on this journey!

6. Marian

Marian Peer Supporter

Great to hear of your success! Thanks for sharing it... and don't worry about the ups and downs. That seems to be the way it goes for a while.