1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 12 Being a champion for a day

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Ryan79, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Ryan79

Ryan79 Peer Supporter

What is one of your best memories from your childhood?

I am a bit of a sports enthusiast and love cheering for my favorite teams. Probably my favorite childhood memory came in 8th grade when we won our basketball champsionship. Our coach was our physical education teacher and a very stern no nonsense type of coach. He was a man I greatly respected and looked up to. One day in practice he said after I turned the ball over was "careless mistakes was the reason I didn't start." Usually I was the 6th man (or first off the bench). In the champsionship game the regular starter was having a bad first quarter, and the coach put me in. I preformed very well and played almost the entire game. Even though I only scored two points my defensive plays is what earned myself most of the playing time. This was the only time I've experienced being a champion. :)

SO many times in my childhood our sports related teams finished in second place in tournaments. There were a lot of heartaches that my friends and I experienced. One game in sixth grade I stole the ball and had a chance to win the championship game but had the shot blocked at the end. It stung for a long tme.

Also in professional or college sports I've never had that thrill of emotionally draining yourself in a team all season long to see them win a championship. This past year the Kansas City Royals did win the World Series which was kind of a psuedo champioship feel. I was never a die hard fan but a luke warm fan for the team.

My wife doesnt get my sports love but to me its the best feeling in the world. dancea

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Ryan. You've had some great sports memories. I stick with our local Chicago teams... The Cubs and Bears and Black Hawks, win or lose.

I was lousy in sports in school but loved to play tennis and golf after college. Not good in either of those but really enjoyed playing. I gave up golf to walk my dogs which I enjoy even more.

Ryan79 likes this.