1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 Beginning my journey to healing

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Agnes, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Agnes

Agnes New Member

I have had bad back pain for seven years. Tried everything. My husband heard about Dr. Sarno's book, and about 6 weeks ago I took a couple of weeks to carefully, slowly read the book. I saw myself throughout the book, as being a typical TMS person. I'm now reading another of Dr. Sarno's books. I have also read all the Wiki material. I felt somewhat better for a couple of days, but then it's been back to the regular relentless pain. So I'm trying the 30 day program. I must be honest and say I do have doubts, because nothing else has worked so far. I'm hoping the support program will cast away my doubts and I can heal.

sportychick likes this.
  2. Homestead Hermit

Homestead Hermit Peer Supporter

So happy to hear you discovered Dr. Sarno's work and are trying something new :) Those doubts are perfectly normal. Having faith in the theory, the program, that it IS going to work in my opinion is THE key and biggest factor to healing success. I feel so fortunate to have found this wonderful community...they really keep me motivated and inspired! I also find the drop-in chat VERY helpful for a weekly boost of support - every Saturday 3 - 4 p.m Eastern time.

3. sportychick

sportychick New Member

I'm working through the program with you. I know it's hard to believe that the pain isn't caused by something physical. But you have seen a doctor to rule out anything serious? Dr. Sarno said that the herniated disks and such were just the "gray hairs" of the spine. He also said, and I read in Steve Ozanich's book, that there is a really small percentage of people who do have something physically wrong with them. However, we all think we are part of that 2%. (I think that was the percentage he gave). I try to remind myself that in so many ways I am an average person, that I'm not an outlier in this one regard. Also, I made an evidence sheet about my symptoms: I can go on a snowboarding vacation for a week without "aggravating my back" but I can't sit in the car for longer than 15 minutes, or, my right shoulder was killing me until after a big appointment was over and then the pain stopped???The discrepancies there are the most convincing argument as to why I definitely do have TMS. I don't remember which day tells you to do this exercise, but, I highly recommend making an evidence sheet. Good luck!

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I'm 86 and mostly pain-free thanks to TMS, but still have a little lower back pain. I know it's from TMS, probably from financial worries. I've seen a news video about a 99-year-old woman who conducts an exercise class for women half her age, and wish I was like her. Then I remind myself that we're all different and that teenagers have back pain. Compared to many others, I'm doing fine. Be sure to count your blessings and be grateful for the exercise you can do.

sportychick likes this.