1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Befriending doubt

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by veronica73, Apr 20, 2012.

1. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

I really like this quote by poet Edward Field:

"Of course I have doubt. I invite her over for dinner and then I send her on her way. I've befriended her. If I'm an artist living an artist's life, doing these things, then of course I will be visited by doubt. If not, there would be something wrong. She's my recurring house guest."

I like the idea that doubt will always be part of life & the human condition, but that we can allow it in for a while and then usher it out the door without having it move in with us.

Enrique and Forest like this.
  2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

I really liked this quote. Thanks for posting it. As you mentioned doubt is part of the human condition. In terms of TMS, I think it is important to understand that at the beginning some doubt may be present. However, it is important to do find a way to overcome it.

I like this idea of allowing it and then ushering it out. So much of TMS is caused by trying ignoring how we feel and repress our emotions. Allowing, to me, simply means understanding that doubt is part of the human condition, and that we are not repressing this feeling. This will allow us to not become anxious and worry about it when it happens. Worrying and anxiety only leads to fear, and fear exacerbates our symptoms. If, however, we allow our doubt, we can then calmly address some of the emotions behind it. If we address it in this manner, I think we can begin to safely identify which emotions are driving it and what factors are preventing us from fully accepting the diagnosis.

I can't stress enough the importance of accepting the diagnosis. If we don't accept the diagnosis we will continue to think physically and are progress may stall. If however we fully accept that we have TMS and the cause of our symptoms is psychological, then we can begin to achieve long-term success.

3. Beach-Girl

Beach-Girl Well known member

I have doubt in a different way. Just had some information I received confirmed. Shows we DO need to usher doubt out the door.