1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Beat back pain but symptom imperative hard at work...

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by LeviZ, Oct 11, 2014.

1. LeviZ

LeviZ New Member

Hi All :) Here's my story -- I'll try to keep it brief:

I'm 31 years old. Never had any major physical injuries or issues before. I was healthy and active, exercising vigorously (biking 2 hours+) every day.

Late April (this year) I had an incident in the gym (using leg extension machine) where I "injured" my knees. Diagnosed with 'PFPS'. Did PT religiously for 3 months but wasn't getting better. Physio wasn't familiar with TMS but mentioned that it was likely more of a 'mind issue' at this point... I did some research and found Sarno, and started reading all the books.

Late July I "injured" my lower back (lifting heavy object without bending knees), and as I started focusing (and obsessing) on the back pain the knee pain "magically" disappeared. At this point I was %90 certain it was TMS. After suffering from the back pain (often severe and intense) for 2 months, I saw Dr. Ira Rashbaum in NYC (TMS Doctor / Sarno protege) who confirmed the TMS diagnosis (with enormous confidence and certainty). Back pain "magically" and instantaneously disappeared on my subway ride home, and has basically been gone since.

I thought that was the end of my troubles and I got back to doing vigorous exercise etc. but since that time I've had a variety of TMS symptoms attacking nearly every part of my body. Lately I'm having intense burning and painful sensations in both my Achilles. I know it's TMS, I try to ignore it, 'think psychological' and just go about my life but it's still driving me crazy. I need some help / support / encouragement here... will I ever beat this thing for good??

P.S. I fit the TMS personality to the tee. Perfectionist, goodist, highly sensitive with a history of depression and anxiety (often severe, including occasional panic attacks)... any help would be appreciated... thanks

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi LeviZ,

I suggest you start by reading the Success Stories in that subforum on this wiki. There are also good ones on Amazon under any of Sarno's books. This will help you see that the answer to your question is "yes, you will beat this TMS thing", because many, many people have. You can do it, too. You may find that you are one of the people that needs to do more than read TMS books, and could benefit from doing one of the structured educational programs, like the SEP which is free on this site. Some people benefit from seeing a TMS therapist either in person on through Skype. There is much support and help to tap into to assist in your healing journey. You are in the right place. You can find everything you need to heal right here. Congratulations, the future is bright! Just dive in and get started.

And welcome to the Forum. Glad to have you join us.

Msunn likes this.
  3. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Identify your stresssors on the Rahe-Holmes list:

Adults
    To measure stress according to the Holmes and Rahe Stress Scale, the number of "Life Change Units" that apply to events in the past year of an individual's life are added and the final score will give a rough estimate of how stress affects health.

Life event change units

Death of a spouse 100
    Divorce 73
    Marital separation 65
    Imprisonment 63
    Death of a close family member 63
    Personal injury or illness 53
    Marriage 50
    Dismissal from work 47
    Marital reconciliation 45
    Retirement 45
    Change in health of family member 44
    Pregnancy 40
    Sexual difficulties 39
    Gain a new family member 39
    Business readjustment 39
    Change in financial state 38
    Death of a close friend 37
    Change to different line of work 36
    Change in frequency of arguments 35
    Major mortgage 32
    Foreclosure of mortgage or loan 30
    Change in responsibilities at work 29
    Child leaving home 29
    Trouble with in-laws 29
    Outstanding personal achievement 28
    Spouse starts or stops work 26
    Beginning or end school 26
    Change in living conditions 25
    Revision of personal habits 24
    Trouble with boss 23
    Change in working hours or conditions 20
    Change in residence 20
    Change in schools 20
    Change in recreation 19
    Change in church activities 19
    Change in social activities 18
    Minor mortgage or loan 17
    Change in sleeping habits 16
    Change in number of family reunions 15
    Change in eating habits 15
    Vacation 13
    Christmas 12
    Minor violation of law 11

Score of 300+
    : At risk of illness.

Score of 150-299: Risk of illness is moderate (reduced by 30% from the above risk).

Score <150: Only have a slight risk of illness.

4. LeviZ

LeviZ New Member

Thank you Ellen for your encouraging and helpful response.

Tom, I appreciate that. I did not mention in my original post that I recently quit my job so that is no doubt an added stressor.

Despite these annoying symptoms, I'm starting to feel a lot more hopeful about the future, and will keep you guys posted on any progress.