1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Be Part of the Thank You Dr. Sarno Project

Discussion in 'Thank You Dr. Sarno' started by Forest, Dec 1, 2021.

1. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Thank you for your interest in participating in the Thank You, Dr. Sarno Project. This project began in April of 2012 with creating a website and a physical scrapbook of over 60 individual Thank You letters to give to Dr. Sarno on his retirement.

Since his retirement, we have continued to receive submissions to the project, which are posted at www.thankyoudrsarno.org. According to Dr. Sarno's New York Times obituary, the good doctor kept the book on his living room table. The obituary closes as follows:

On his living room table, he kept a thick scrapbook given to him by members of TMS Wiki, a support forum. In its pages, both patients and strangers wrote about experiencing years of pain before stumbling across Dr. Sarno’s writings; some posted recent photos of themselves running marathons and climbing mountains.

“Since 1982 I’ve used your books to help almost one hundred friends and acquaintances,” wrote one former pain sufferer. “In a just world you’d have the Nobel Prize for medicine.”
    If your life was touched by Dr. Sarno's work, you are invited to be part of the project by starting a thread in this forum. You may also email a message and a picture to ThankYouDrSarno@tmswiki.org. The goal is to provide researchers, journalists, the public, and his family with a lasting testament to all of the lives that he changed. Contributions will generally be posted at the project's web site and may be used in other projects of this nonprofit. Therefore, if you wish to sign the message, we strongly encourage you to use a pseudonym or your first name only, as this project will also be placed online to serve as a reference in the future.

The Thank You message is designed to be a brief message expressing how Dr. Sarno's work has changed your life. There are no rules, but it should come from the heart and tell the reader a little bit about your life and how Dr. Sarno's work touched it.

If you feel comfortable including a photo, they really add a lot. It's one thing to see a collection of words on a page, but when you see a picture of the real person behind it, you know that this great man touched many lives. Consider sending a photo of you doing something that gives you joy, perhaps something that symbolizes the freedom that you regained because of Dr. Sarno's work.

Thank you for your support. This project ended up being the closing note not only in Dr. Sarno's obituary, but also in the documentary about him. Let's build a tribute worthy of the man who helped so many of us.

View the project at www.thankyoudrsarno.org

TG957 and miffybunny like this.
  2. Forest

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
    FAQ 1: Should I add a photo?

It is up to you whether you add a photo, but photos can add a lot if you choose to include one.

A photo can really bring your contribution to life. Both the Dr. Sarno documentary and his New York Times obituary ended with the Thank You Dr. Sarno project. I think they did this because of how powerful a simple "thank you" can be ... especially when you can see the person saying it.

I have had the only other physical copy of the Thank You Dr. Sarno book, and when I see photos next to stories, it often brings up strong emotions. It often even makes me tear up a bit. The photos are a big part of what triggers this. They help build the type of tribute that Dr. Sarno deserves.

For example, consider the following contribution:

upload_2021-12-1_18-17-14.png

It is a powerful testimonial about how Dr. Sarno transformed a person's life for the better.

It definitely adds to the project and it may also inspire other people to try TMS healing.

However, the screenshot above is just the bottom half of Gerry's contribution:
    http://www.thankyoudrsarno.org/gerrys-thank-you (Gerry’s Thank You - Thank You, Dr. Sarno)

The top half is a photo.

The photo helps us emotionally understand how important Dr. Sarno's work really was:

upload_2021-12-1_18-17-50.png

This is why I say that any photo will really bring your contribution to life! Anyone viewing it will viscerally know that Dr. Sarno helped change the life of a real human being - someone who deserves to live a full life out of pain.​

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
    miffybunny likes this.
  3. Forest

FAQ 2: If I include a photo, what type would work?

Whatever you include is completely up to you. My favorite entries to read are the ones where people let their emotions, personalities and experiences show through.

With that said, everything is 100% up to you! It is your Thank-You to the Good Doctor.

... Some people choose photos of them enjoying outdoor or athletic pursuits that Dr. Sarno's work allowed them to enjoy.

[For each of the following screenshots, you can click on them to read the entire story.]

upload_2021-12-1_18-59-52.png

upload_2021-12-1_19-0-48.png

upload_2021-12-1_19-1-44.png

upload_2021-12-1_19-8-13.png

... Others post photos with loved ones ...

upload_2021-12-1_19-9-18.png

upload_2021-12-1_19-10-13.png

.... Others just show themselves enjoying life or living it to the fullest...

upload_2021-12-1_19-11-53.png

upload_2021-12-1_19-12-18.png

... and some of my favorites just say, "hey, here is the real person behind the Thank-You"

upload_2021-12-1_19-15-18.png

upload_2021-12-1_19-15-48.png

Bottom line: if it shows you and shows that your life is better, it's a good photo. :)

Oh, and finally, if I'm going to ask you to share your photo, here's mine... :) I'll be honest, I was so busy doing other things that I just looked through the photos I could lay my hands on and chose my favorite. It's okay if you do the same!

upload_2021-12-1_19-27-35.png

Attached Files:

miffybunny likes this.
  4. Forest

FAQ 3: Who is behind the Thank You Dr. Sarno Project?

Clearly, the most important contributors are the 160 people who added their stories to the project: https://www.thankyoudrsarno.org/ (Thank You, Dr. Sarno)

The original book was assembled by the following team: Rinkey, Forest, Susan, Enrique, Brian, and Panda. Rinkey did the graphic design, which was a very major contribution.

Major thanks go out to Tamara, @TG957 who convinced me to restart the program and has offered to post the new contributions and communicate with the contributors. I'm not great at email, so I am very grateful for this!

Collaborations like this are key to keeping a project like this going long term. If you would like to join the team, please send me a private message or use our Contact form.

5. Forest

This post is reserved for adding a future FAQ

6. Forest

7. Forest