1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Basic Human Rights

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Karen, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Karen

Karen Peer Supporter

I have read these 'rights' so many times and continue to forget how important they are when it comes to TMS. My hope is that we can remind ourselves that we do have these rights as humans. It is so important for us to take care of ourselves.

Hugs to all tonight! :)

Basic Human Rights

1. I have the right to have these Basic Human Rights and to stand up for them.
    2. I have the right to have my needs and feelings be as important as anyone else's.
    3. I have the right to experience and express my feelings, if I choose to do so, in a respectful way.
    4. I have the right to not be responsible for the feelings of another.
    5. I have the right to express my opinions, if I choose to do so, in a respectful way.
    6. I have the right to set my own priorities.
    7. I have the right to establish independence if I choose to.
    8. I have the right to decide how I spend my time.
    9. I have the right to choose my own lifestyle so long as I do not violate the rights of others.
    10. I have the right to change my lifestyle, myself, my behaviors, my values, my life situation, and my mind.
    11. I have the right to make honest mistakes and to admit those mistakes without feeling humiliated.
    12. I have the right to self-fulfillment through my own talents and interests.
    13. I have the right to grow as a person and to accept new challenges.
    14. I have the right to choose with whom I spend my time and with whom I share my body.
    15. I have the right to be treated with dignity and respect in all my relationships.
    16. I have the right to be listened to respectfully.
    17. I have the right to ask for what I want assertively.
    18. I have the right to say "I don't understand" or "I don't know" without feeling or being humiliated.
    19. I have the right to say "No," and to set limits and boundaries without feeling guilty.
    20. I have the right to set limits on how I will be treated in relationships.
    21. I have the right to expect my boundaries to be respected.
    22. I have the right to walk away from toxic or abusive relationships.
    http://serenityonlinetherapy.com/basic-human-rights.htm

Leslie, veronica73 and Gigalos like this.