1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 32 Balancing Daily Stress with TMS Recovery

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Laudisco, Dec 20, 2014.

1. Laudisco

Laudisco Well known member

So far I haven't had too many problems dealing with daily stress that impedes my TMS recovery. I have been blessed to be able to take a few months off work, which has been excellent. I think it's the first time in my life I have really started to relax and feel "free". I still struggle with feelings of condemnation and anxiety at times, but I am learning to overcome those thoughts and change my attitude.

However, I realised that I still have a few little stresses which aggravate me from time to time. One of them has been my housemate. I realised she has been subtly criticising me lately, which has made me feel angry and frustrated. It didn't seem like a big deal at first, but I realised that it's starting to bother me so I did some journalling about it. I also remembered that she has adult ADD, so I did some research on that topic.

I read some articles about relationships with people who have ADD, and it really helped. I realised that it's common for people with ADD not to listen very well, and to blurt out comments without really thinking about it. It helps to know I'm not the only one confused by people with ADD!

Also, her struggle with being organised and not noticing mess around the house made sense when I read more about ADD. At first I thought it was just her personality or maybe laziness, but it's more extreme than most people so I know her condition has something to do with it.

If the criticisms continue or get worse, I may confront her about it - but journalling and knowing more about ADD really helps and gives perspective. It enables me to acknowledge my frustrations, but also to accept there may be some traits or behaviours I cannot change about her.

As far as mistakes go, well I lost my best friend's birthday present last week!! :O I felt terrible about it, so I told her honestly and she was very understanding. (She probably wouldn't be such a close friend if she was not so forgiving!! lol) Thankfully I got the present back this week, as I discovered I left it at the pharmacy and someone returned it to my workplace. I felt very blessed and thankful.

It helps me to remember that my mistakes are not the end of the world. I also remembered that I was quite tired that day, so I try to have compassion on myself.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Laudisco, I'm glad the lost birthday present got found and returned to you.
    You can feel good that there are honest people in the world.

I've left things at stores or locked in my car (with the keys inside). I stay calm and
    say a prayer and most often, I find how to retrieve what I lost. Not always,
    but in those cases I just tell myself, what the h---. Nobody's perfect.

And you found another reason to know how great you best friend is.

On the funny side, my sister said her high school friend was so rattled one day,
    she gave the bus driver the letter she wanted to mail and put the bus fare in the mail box.

Laudisco likes this.
  3. Laudisco

Laudisco Well known member

Haha, that is rather funny Walt! :D I prayed that the gift would come back, and I find that praying usually helps. Last time I lost my wallet I prayed, and it got returned to me safely with all the cash in it.