1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 27 Balance

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Sean, May 2, 2016.

1. Sean

Sean New Member

Hi...been reading some things by Monte Hueftle on the running pain site. I think I recall he or the site was referenced in one of the SEP days. What I found encouraging/enlightening is that he says (my take on it) that while deeply repressed emotions are the root of the pain trying to discover and solve those deeply repressed issues roots us even further in them...that focus makes us feel like we have to change our very being which would most likely take us as long to do as it took to get here...
    Instead he says focus on the now and deal with those feelings and how they are being used to communicate to us...apply the principles of mindfulness etc. Right now and don't take on the overwhelming task of sorting things out I am analysis of your overall personhood. S@?#t happened, (to us all) move on.
    Live for the moment essentially.
    That's my take and it echoes Ozanich in that respect.
    I'm seeing (feeling) steady improvement. Using TMS/MBS does force you to own up to what's making you unhappy/angry.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Sean. I agree that dwelling on the emotions of the past that cause TMS pain may be counter-productive. I preferred to discover the repressed emotion, in my case from my boyhood when my parents divorced, leaving me with feelings of insecurity. I accepted that, then put it behind me. I was able to do that by journaling to realize my parents had their own TMS and that helped me to forgive them.

So, yes, it happened, so now live in the present moment and move on.

nanajan likes this.
  3. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

I agree that you can easily enter a feedback loop in which dwelling on the negative emotions seems to perpetuate them.
    Also, Sarno has always said that you don't necessarily have to pinpoint the source of the negative emotions, just recognize them and move on..

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

It's often not easy to avoid, but dwelling on the past involving emotional or physical stress can be very harmful in TMS healing.
    Gigi is right. I think that's why Dr. Sarno says we need to recognize the repressed emotion causing our pain, but then let it go.

I like this video on Youtube that helps those who are stuck in thinking about negative emotions.

Janine28 likes this.