1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

BAD WEATHER TRIGGERS

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Boston Redsox, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

Can someone explain how these low pressure systems cause such pain in your body how is this related to repressed emotions causing pain….when days come like this my brain throws in a little tms doubt.

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

It's a conditioned response. Low pressure used to trigger my migraines and fibromyalgia. I researched it and found that there is enough change in the body from the pressure change for you to notice it, but it is no reason for pain. Our brain has linked the two like Pavlov's dog linked the ringing of the bell and food, thereby salivating at the sound of the bell. I was conditioned to link the subtle changes in my body from barometric pressure changes to pain. I overcame this by talking to my brain when I sensed the pressure changes. I told myself "there is no logical reason for this barometric pressure change to cause pain. So just knock it off." It eventually started to work, but I needed to catch it early. I'm not bothered by it anymore most of the time. Occasionally I'll notice a twinge, so I just talk to my brain. I guess this works because eventually logic and reason from the conscious brain overrules the unconscious.

Hope this helps.

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) and Lizzy like this.
  3. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

thx Ellen

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I used to feel anxious or depressed during low pressure times or a full moon.
    If I distracted myself with something pleasant, my mind left me alone and the
    bad feelings went away. I still works for me.

MWsunin12 likes this.