1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

bad emg

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Mee, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Mee

Mee Newcomer

Hi,
    Have back and leg (including the foot) pain for abt 2 years- mri showed 2 buldging discs- l4-l5 (with minimal impression on thacal sack) and l5-s1 alao with disc degenaration.
    Also did emg- was normal.
    Foot really painful mostly when i sit or bend for example.
    Few weeks ago started to feel something weird in thw foot and couldn’t walk normal. Found on the web there’s a condition called foot drop :/
    At abt same time found out abt TMS, and I think I might have it.
    BUT
    Had now an emg test and results are there’s evidence of minor nerve root demage in l4-l5...which does match the foot issue.

My q is-
    Could it still be TMS? And in this case- is the foot condition reversable?
    Or once there’s neurologic issue- then it’s one of the ‘real’ physical cases and for sure not TMS?

Thanks

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Mee,

As I understand your situation, your second emg showed 'minor' verve damage. If it was me, I would get a second (third) emg with a different physician, and I'd have a different physician interpret the results. All this to move toward a more favorable TMS diagnosis, since another physician/test might give you a different view.

Your earlier pain with no emg results points to a TMS diagnosis, which as you suggest, can create lots of symptoms, including foot drop.

This thread may help you have more support for your TMS diagnosis.

http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/foot-drop.14753/ (Foot drop ?)

If it was me, I would not give up at this stage that it is TMS. Non of this is an exact science, and many many people have treated symptoms which seemed at first glance outside the realm of TMS work, including me. I was diagnosed with tarsal tunnel, a nerve condition, and I was diagnosed with neuropathy. Neither is true. Three different surgeons recommended nerve surgery.

Meantime, I would do everything I could to lessen worry and symptom monitoring, which will only likely increase symptoms.

Andy B

starseed likes this.
  3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

I also suggest you engage treating this as TMS starting now. This is a basic approach when there is some unknown, and when there is reduction in symptom, this further supports TMS diagnosis, creating a positive loop.

4. Mee

Mee Newcomer

Thanks so much for your replys!
    Just visited a neurologist and he sais no foot drop- really hipe he’s right...
    Said that emg result does show minor nerve compression but that it seems to be not something new and that it migjt have been missed in the first emg 2 years ago.

5. Snowman

Snowman Peer Supporter

Hope this helps you. I include the tms approach and dnrs along side with eft . Anything that helps the mind 're wire .