1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Bad day

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Wendyc, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Wendyc

Wendyc Peer Supporter

Yesterday I had to drive on the freeway to pick up my son. I have really bad panic attacks and anxiety when I drive on the freeway and I was going somewhere far and unfamiliar. Usually my fiancé drives (embarrassing)Plus I have a severe cold and I left with a fever. Once I got to our meeting spot my ex husband was super late after I said I couldn't wait to late because I was sick and dizzy from the fever. Well I did have a severe anxiety attack while driving which I Manage to pull through by talking to myself my heart was beating hard my stomach was tense and I was shaking .. Plus the fever! Well today I had a small argument with him during work by text and my heart just was beating so hard and fast like the night before I got shaky and I had to step away drink water and calm down. I felt like my heart was going to jump out of my chest. Once I calmed my body down I cried at my desk briefly from all the emotions. Since these two attacks my stomach is now back to its old self .. Bloated and just crampy and I had a few pains that haven't showed up in the three weeks since reading about TMS.. What should I do to get back on track quick? I've been doing so good

2. Lunarlass66

Lunarlass66 Well known member

Hi Wendy...
    You needn't be embarrassed at all. I too have experienced major panic attacks, general anxiety, health anxiety, phobias and the like. It's easy to understand how experiences like driving alone on the freeway (stressful even for someone without anxiety!) and going to pick up your son when ordinarily, you don't go by yourself, plus the stress an ex can create all brought on the perfect storm and hence, your anxiety symptoms were provoked.
    In my experience, once anxiety in general has been triggered, from traumatic current occurrences in life or in our past (though I believe in can be a combination of the two) it's not something that can be instantaneously "shut off" at will, but instead takes time, persistence, lots of support (like this forum..) and patience with yourself (that's a tough one for me... Perfectionism, low self esteem.. Typical TMS personality) to get things back on track..
    I, too have had irritable bowel syndrome and at one time was throughly convinced I had stomach cancer or colitis, some horrible disease when it was anxiety all along...
    One thing I can tell you for sure is that you'll definitely feel better and get back to the good days you were having once again. One suggestion I can make is to calm your autonomic nervous system... Try sticky notes (I know it seems a little "nutty" but it's effective) with comforting, positive affirmations on your refrigerator or bathroom mirror. The idea is to give your mind soothing, hopeful and positive messages.. Over and over. Repetition is key. After a while it becomes a natural way to think and pushes out negative, or scary thoughts..
    I hope this helps, at least some. I wish you all the best. I used to work with children and they were a huge part of my "happy place"! Go give your son a hug!!
    :)

Wendyc likes this.
  3. Wendyc

Wendyc Peer Supporter

I'm sorry I thought I replied... must have in my head. Thank you so much for your reply.