1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Back to work-- suggestions

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by semia, Aug 27, 2015.

1. semia

semia New Member

Hey guys. Thanks to everyone for there posts and suggestions. I'm biting the bullet and going back to work this weekend.. Last memory I have of work was me leaving the job mid shift being the only manager on duty. I remember vividly the pins and needles in my arms, Intense dizziness, and overall dreadful feeling that came over me. It was definitely some form of a panic attack. For anyone who has been out of work for a while and conquered their fears and went back ... How did you cope with the anxiety or fear that you can't get through it ?? Besides deep breathing that is. I do that a lot but I feel like I need more. Thanks :)

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi semia - this is good news, because facing the things we are afraid of is one of the best ways to recover, especially for those of us with anxiety! Which is kind of a lot of us here... :eek:

This post that I made last summer describes how I got through what was obviously a TMS "incident". Not technically a panic attack, which I don't have anymore (yay!), but I believe this technique can work for any kind of TMS crisis: http://tmswiki.org/forum/threads/still-working-on-it-recent-successful-incident.5547/#post-32979

Note how the emotions involved in this instance weren't deep and they weren't in the past. My brain nevertheless had been trying to repress them, with the usual results.

Wishing you all the best this weekend! Keep reminding yourself that you are strong and that your unconscious brain can not bring you down.

Jan

3. Eve

Eve Peer Supporter

Good luck Semia. I'm in the same boat as you are apparently. Next week I will start working again after 5 months of sick leave. I will not be working that much as before, but still there is some anxiety there to go back because the last time I was at my work I was completely worn down by fatigue, extreme dizziness, all over bodypain and also had a sort of panick attack. Not the best memory ever ;) I also wished not having to work and stay home until I completely recover, but I also think it would be best to find some balance in our life and sitting at home waiting until it's all over justs increases my calendar watching tendencies..
    Try to stay mindful, not letting the negative thoughts or emotions get a hold on you. When the symptoms flare up at work, I go to the restroom and do some breathing or do some faster eft or havening techniques on the anxiety or whatever I am feeling to calm my nervous system down. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't but if I let the storm pass without panicking or loosing myself in the pain or dizziness or whatever, I notice that it can be better in an hour or quicker,but in any case, it passes. I wish you the best

Grateful17 likes this.
  4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Semia. I agree that deep breathing and tapping can help you. You need a good boost of self-confidence and there are some good videos on that at Youtube. Dizziness is often caused by stress and anxiety. I found help with dizziness by taking an over the counter medication called "Travel Sickness," a product by a company called Rugby. It's at your local drug store or ordering from amazon.com. It's not habit forming and has no adverse side effects.

5. semia

semia New Member

Thanks everyone for the encouragement! We'll see how it goes. Good luck to you eve as well! I feel like we are very similar =) Nice to know we aren't alone.

JanAtheCPA and Eve like this.
  6. SunnyinFL

SunnyinFL Well known member

Hi Semia,
    Looks like you've already received some wise input. Some other thoughts that struck me . . . I can relate to the anxiety, which is considered a TMS equivalent. So, I'd deal with the anxiety just like you deal with pain (i.e., I know this is TMS, I know what's going on, I will think psychological instead). Another idea that I have found very powerful is to do the reprogramming techniques - I'm sure there are many varieties - I found Dr. Schubiner's directions very helpful. In short, know that you can use your conscious mind (prefrontal cortex) to both override/unlearn old neural pathways and also to create new neural pathways. For example, you can say things to yourself like, "I am fine - this will NOT cause any symptoms - I will NOT be intimidated - I know what's going on - I'm an adult who can feel my feelings and process them without symptoms." Dr. Schubiner and others can explain this much better than me - see his book or Web site - Unlearn Your Pain - or maybe others following this thread can make more suggestions for how this can work for you. Best wishes! Sunny

JanAtheCPA and Grateful17 like this.
  7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Sunny. I hope the work is going well this weekend. That's not easy, to get back to work and in the swing of things, but it can be a real big morale booster. Let us know how it went. We are all rooting for you, and here's a hug, besides.

SunnyinFL and Eve like this.