1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 3 Back to the Gym!

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Rajput21, May 20, 2017.

1. Rajput21

Rajput21 Peer Supporter

When was the last time you exercised or did another physical activity? What was this activity? How did it make you feel physically and emotionally? If it is has been a while since you last exercised, why?

Yesterday I went to the gym and deadlifted for the first time in over five months because the SEP said I should. Admittedly, I was nervous about going back to the gym but I knew that resuming my normal activities was crucial for recovery and acceptance of the diagnosis. Anyway, it felt amazing to be able to do the lift with only some slight discomfort in my left heel. Funny enough, since I started accepting the TMS diagnosis and began the SEP, the pain has intermittently shifted from my left heel to my right calf muscle, causing me a visible limp. I literally had to limp the half mile to the gym and even limped my way throughout the entire workout. I was okay though because it solidified the TMS diagnosis, in my mind. I even laughed a little at how silly the limp must have made me look. The limp has since disappeared but may return. I think I handled it really well, considering how sudden and severe the symptoms were.

Previously, I had not been to the gym in five weeks and I had not deadlifted in almost five months. The heel pain that I thought was plantar fasciitis, seemed to be getting worse for the past few months. Specifically, any lower body exercises seemed to make my condition worse. Even walking to the gym seemed to exacerbate the heel pain, so I limited myself from attending the gym for any reason. I found out during my first go-around with TMS, when I beat the back pain, that my mood and happiness are closely tied to going to the gym. For me, it is such a great stress reliever and I really enjoy lifting weights. Weightlifting is my favorite hobby and the TMS, very insidiously, likes to take it away from me.

livlive likes this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

You're thinking that if a pain is gone, it may return. That's not good TMS thinking. You need to convince yourself that when a pain is gone, it's gone for good. If it does return, tell yourself it's TMS, from some emotion you are still repressing. Try to go the gym even if you fear you might feel pain some weightlifting. Just lift lighter weights if you can, and gradually work up to what you used to lift. Walking to the gym and while there, tell yourself a positive mantra such as "I can do this. It's a piece of cake."

livlive likes this.