1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Back to swimming (back to my life) some "issues"

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by emporeon027, Mar 19, 2021.

1. emporeon027

emporeon027 Peer Supporter

As the tile says, i finish my first week at swimming, one to two hours between 6 to 8 am. i feel so good, But you see for some odd reason i guess TMS relataed to my pain when i sit, my left but hurts a little and my side leg as well when i do breaststroke, i know its TMS, still i force my selft to do it anyway and actully do it more than freestyle, still hurts but i know it can not damage me, i guess its have to do that i was told when i was on pt, that i can not do breaststrokes to protect my lower back and sacrum and blabla. i know they do it for good reasons, but i wanst fearfull of it at least my conscious mind wanst. just as every TMS realted symptom i will keep push it, not matter how the pain last it will be gone i know, still some of you have experience the same or something similar ones you are back to phisical activity? thanks.

2. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Believe it or not, when I had my lower back problems, breaststroke swimming had an enormously calming effect on my pain!

About the same time, I was told by the doctors to never do these things: 1) sit with my legs crossed 2) sit up (roll on my side and get out of bed that way instead) 3) lift anything heavy by holding it in front of me 4) do yoga as it may hurt.

Guess what, 20 years later, I still do all the above, a lot! As a matter of fact, I do 30-40 sit-ups during my weekly body strengthening practice, in sets of 10 at a time.

3. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

I have been on this forum for awhile and I haven't heard of anybody who did NOT have some pain when they returned to activity. that being said, none of them ever got worse (Like Dr. Sarno Promised us). That, in and of itself, is proof positive that there is no 'structural' damage and that structural anomalies don't cause pain.... but they do get BLAMED for it.

when I went back to activity my pain didn't get worse, but it wasn't magically gone; I was frustrated because I knew it was TMS. Then (AHA!) I realized the track I was walking around was one I used to run around, and cycle around, but never walk. I Immediately started running, even though I'd been warned I risked being paralyzed if I did. I went home and got out my old dumbbells and worked out carelessly (the way I used to before the pain). I went to the batting cages and I threw stuff. I went back to sleeping on my stomach, the way I like to....all stuff they told me was a no-no. From that AHA I was about 3 weeks out from being completely pain free.

When I was doing all of this I stayed focused on the idea that I had become very conditioned by the scary stuff they told me, but was NOT going to listen to them anymore. I still don't and I am 55 and still doing all of those things.....regularly and hard, without a care in the world.

just keep on going and you will be just as free as I got.