1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Back to back pain...

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by stayfit65, Nov 9, 2015.

1. stayfit65

stayfit65 Peer Supporter

Hello All,
    I'm not going to pretend here...I'm ticked off that this burning and stiffness is back. I have been dealing with this for 4 years. I really don't know what to do. I've seen TMS physicians, read books, practiced meditation, etc. I'm a full time employee and also work part time as a fitness instructor, not to mention I'm a mom and a wife. I can't just hole myself up and journal and meditate all day! Is there anybody out there that has been able to maintain their busy lifestyle and recover? I'm REALLY needing encouragement...I don't want to feel discouraged but I am. I'm doing something wrong here I guess. Or do I just accept that's the way it's going to be and make the best of it?
    Thanks
    Stayfit

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Stayfit. I'm so sorry you are still in pain after all you say you have done. You are a busy lady with a lot of responsibility so you may not be able to spend as much time as you'd like to on journaling and meditating. I don't think you have to spend a lot of time on either. Just try to do some each day. In fact, I think many people with TMS spend too much time on those and other healing techniques.

You 're entitled to feel discouraged, but try not to let that diminish your belief in TMS. It takes 100 percent of that, which isn't easy for many people (me included) but that's what it takes.

You could fight discouagement by reading more TMS success stories.

Here, also, are some encouraging words from Gina Lake, author of What about Now?: Reminders for Being in the Moment

“A lot of things are inherent in life -change, birth, death, aging, illness, accidents, calamities, and losses of all kinds- but these events don't have to be the cause of ongoing suffering. Yes, these events cause grief and sadness, but grief and sadness pass, like everything else, and are replaced with other experiences. The ego, however, clings to negative thoughts and feelings and, as a result, magnifies, intensifies, and sustains those emotions while the ego overlooks the subtle feelings of joy, gratitude, excitement, adventure, love, and peace that come from Essence. If we dwelt on these positive states as much as we generally dwell on our negative thoughts and painful emotions, our lives would be transformed."

3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Stayfit65,

When I see people who have honestly engaged, over time, in TMS investigation, and self-programs and are not getting very far then my next question is: have you engaged in TMS coaching or used a TMS therapist? I have coached clients who are very busy, and they made significant progress. You may simply need more support. This is what Dr. Sarno told us.

Don't give up if you can help it. And I hope some folks come on with the specific answer to your question about "busy life."

TMS sufferers are subject to "relapse." If this is what is happening don't panic, just do some daily TMS practices, stay the course, and inquire into what might be bringing this on.

Sincerely,

Andy B.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
    David88 likes this.
  4. Zumbafan

Zumbafan Well known member

Those symptoms are not your life, just a distraction. The words you used, "ticked off", suggest to me that something is bothering you. You could ask, what is my body trying to tell me? Why do I need this? What, or who, am I trying to avoid?
    You are not doing anything wrong, so you can let that go. What are you doing to soothe yourself? What makes you happy?
    You don't take away pain, you take away the need for the pain.
    Hope you feel better soon.

David88 likes this.
  5. David88

David88 Well known member

No, don't resign yourself to suffering. I agree with Andy -- you're not doing anything wrong, but you may need more support along the way.

It's been more than 15 years since I read Sarno, and I'm still working on it. I've made enormous progress, but I still run into roadblocks sometimes. I have needed a good TMS therapist to help me through them.

With all your responsibilities, are you taking time to nurture yourself? Much of healing from TMS involves learning to be compassionate towards yourself, and attending to your inner needs. There's nothing wrong with a busy life, if that's what you want, as long as you don't lose yourself along the way.

6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I like the positive mantra of tennis star Arthur Ashe: "Never give up, no matter what the score is."

It's good to be busy, but as David says, be sure to take some time to be good to yourself.
    JP Sears has some good videos on Youtube, one of many I like is on Happiness and Self-Acceptance.

David88 likes this.
  7. stayfit65

stayfit65 Peer Supporter

Thank you all so much for the responses! I am so appreciative! Walt, I decided to focus on outcome independence, being happy, so I'm going to check out your videos! I am thinking about starting a happiness journal to write down the wonderful things that occur every day. I also started meditations (again Walt, thank you, I like Michael Sealey). David, I am going back to a TMS therapist I saw a couple of years ago, who was very supportive and helpful. I know I will NOT be giving up...thanks to you all.
    Stayfit

Anne Walker likes this.