1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

back pain

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by roh, Apr 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. roh

roh Newcomer

Hi, I have had severe back pain sciatica and i believe coccyx problems for a few years.
    my doctor referred me to the mcas department with the view i should have a scan on my spine, and a possible injection to ease the pain. This was on the 29th march 2018. the lady done a few things like hammer on my knees and ankles. Anyway, she said no injection, and no scan, just take painkillers prescribed by doctor. My Question is, How can i get a scan approved, can my doctor send me for a scan even though Mcas as said its not needed. I really want a scan and my doctor did specify to mcas that a urgent scan was needed. Please anyone of you good folk help me, with guidance on the scan, that i believe i should have.?

Thanking you, Rob.

2. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Rob, I have a hunch that you are dutch, but I might be completely wrong on that... Anyway, I don't know what the mcas department is...

I have a feeling that this lady did a couple of tests to rule out a serious problem with your spine. For a TMS doctor, one of these give-aways is that people often have pain in several area's that are ruled by different spinal nerve locations. I am no doctor, so I can't tell you what other tests they perform to rule out serious stuff, but I vaguely remember seeing Dr. Sarno doing the hammer-thing too to a patient. More and more doctors nowadays (in the Netherlands anyway) are getting more conservative when it comes to treating problems like back pain and sciatica, because scientific papers tell them that treatment often has no effect and because scans are pretty expensive. If they can rule out serious things first by a couple of simple tests, they will do so.

Back in the days I got my scan by trading. I would see a psychologist and in return my doctor would get me scan to rule out anything serious. That worked out great, especially because my doctor and neurologist liked my idea of approaching my problem as a psychosomatic one; I guess they don't often encounter patients that are open to the idea and willing to explore it. You might give it a try...

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018