1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Back Pain returned

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Davideus85, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Davideus85

Davideus85 Peer Supporter

So I’ve claimed victory over TMS back pain by far and large, right? Well things to change in the blink of an eye. Last night I was reading through The Divided Mind, going through the various tms patients and their testimonies. Some examples were people who were in back pain for as long as I’ve been live. I started imagining what that would be like - perpetual lifetime pain...in my back. Something that I thought I’ve put behind me. I started feeling incredibly anxious and uncomfortable. For some crazy reason, I started having irrational thoughts of fear of back pain, despite my current success and confidence over tms back pain. I was aware how ludicrous this was but couldn’t stop this fear from invading my mind. Within a minute or two I could feel my lower back start to ache, which made me panic a little more, which made my pain continue to escalate. Shows just how insanely quick the mind can change things, for better or worse. Old fears can always be reintroduced into the mind. Also an example of of how reading about TMS in some cases can actually TRIGGER IT! Still dealing with the back on and off today. It’s like my mind realizes “Oh, back pain’s on your mind again? Here’s my window of opportunity to strike again and distract you”. Sometimes it’s best not to occupy your mind with TMS at all!

Mermaid and JanAtheCPA like this.
  2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

This process is really astonishing, isn't it? And a bit horrifying, how easily your primitive brain can completely take over. The good news, David, is that you are experiencing the new ability to step back and watch this process unfold. The next step will be discovering that you have the strength to fight back, and that you CAN vanquish your primitive fearful brain!

Mermaid likes this.