1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Back Exercise Classes

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Sonic, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Sonic

Sonic Peer Supporter

I have a bit of a dilemma here.

I have been prescribed some back exercise classes by the Physiotherapy department from my Drs. These were offered to me way back in October and have my first session this week.

The thing that worries me is that after working on this TMS diagnosis by reading books/web materials and journaling, these classes are going to hinder my recovery as I know it has been stated that all forms of Physiotherapy must be stopped.

I am being put under pressure by my parents to attend. They also think this TMS theory is bonkers but that does not bothe me too much.

I keep thinking that maybe they will do me good as I have not really been active till the start of this year and have been living a lazy lifestyle due to chronic pain. I just think that they are going to give me home exercises to do which may be counter productive to TMS healing.

I'm probably stressing about nothing and just attend and see how it goes

2. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

Hey Sonic,

I definitely understand that dilemma as a PT myself! It sounds like you're under some pressure to attend these classes. Like you said, the idea that specific exercise is going to decrease your back pain does come into conflict with using the TMS method to heal yourself.

That being said, if you don't really have a choice in the matter and have to go to the class, I think the mindset you bring can help a lot. If you think about the exercises you're given as just general strengthening for your body instead of the solution to your pain, that could help. Strengthening is always a good idea! Keep thinking of the TMS work you're doing as the real solution to your pain and the exercises just as good for general health and conditioning.

3. Sonic

Sonic Peer Supporter

Yes, I suppose I can go with the mind set that I'm just strengthening my muscles as they have not been used much, and that they are not the cause of my pain.

There will be 6 of us attending this class and I wonder if it's possible that we all have TMS.

Thanks for the reply

MindBodyPT likes this.
  4. MindBodyPT

Hope it goes well! Thats the right mindset to take that's compatible with the TMS healing. I'll bet at least some of them do...in my personal and professional experience most back pain lasting more than a few weeks is TMS except if it's post-surgical or due to a fracture or tumor (like Sarno says).

Lunarlass66 likes this.
  5. Lunarlass66

Lunarlass66 Well known member

Hi MindbodyPT, just wanted to say it's of huge reaasurance to me that someone in the medical profession endorses the mindbody approach. I read somewhere that the words "mind" and "body" should not be separated because they are one and the same. In my experience with chronic back pain, it certainly seems to be true. Knowing that however, unfortunately hasn't produced a long lasting solution for me so far. People on this site are an inspiration when they describe their recoveries and even more astonishing to me is their ability to resume a full activity level. That is my goal.. Maybe DREAM is a better word for it.
    Dr. Sarno says exercise for the sake of fitness is perfectly acceptable.. My mistake when I went to PT was being hypervigilant about every movement and every twinge, which made it counterproductive. But the physical activity itself was a good outlet for nervous energy and getting stronger and increasing flexibility increases confidence which reduces fear.. A TMS fire-starter!!

MindBodyPT likes this.
  6. MindBodyPT

Glad I could reassure! I think PTs are well intentioned about wanting their patients to move "better"...its what we learn in school. But I think for many people (especially TMSers) it creates a ton of anxiety and is more harmful than helpful! I also experienced this when trying to rehab myself from back issues. Moving without fear and hypervigiliance is the way to go...and what i'm trying to tell my patients now :)

7. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, @MindBodyPT , you've been a wonderful addition to our Forum family!

MindBodyPT likes this.
  8. Sonic

Sonic Peer Supporter

So attended this class today and quite enjoyed it actually. Thankfully only one other person turned up, so I could just go about my business in peace.

I have not been at all active for well over a year and it was good to get muscles working that have not been used for a while. It only lasted 30 mins but my legs felt like jelly after. I can tell my knees need some work.

It's strange but during the class my pain reduced greatly and on my way home I hardly felt any. It has crept up to normal levels of misery as the evening has gone on.

I have told myself over and over that there is nothing wrong with my back and these classes are just to build my strength up to get more active again. I will try the exercises I have been given at home and will attend again next week.

I have of course read some TMS stuff this evening, journaled and will listen to the Sarno Audiobook to send me to sleep.

I know he says cease all forms of physio work but I feel that my body is rigid and weak and these specific exercises can give me a kick start? Hopefully they do not affect my TMS journey negatively.

9. Sonic

Sonic Peer Supporter

To be honest it's a bit of a dilemma on whether to continue or not.

Aswell as suffering from chronic pain for 9 months, I have been suffering from chronic vertigo for 16 months now. This has made me avoid certain movements for a long time. Even as something simple as just turning round naturally is impossible due to my rigidly body now.

The only exercise I have been doing is walking and step aerobics.

What would you do?

10. MindBodyPT

Hi Sonic,

In answer to your first question- sounds like the class went well! I think the "jelly legs" feeling is just muscles getting used again. All of those exercises can be used for general conditioning. It is a common phenomenon for physical therapy to temporarily reduce pain due to the increase in blood flow created by the exercise, this occurs in many of my clients. This is consistent with what Sarno observed as well. In advising people to stop PT if they have TMS...I generally agree. However, I think doing general exercise with the focus you are trying to take of "this will make me stronger overall" is good, as long as you are able to avoid the mindset of "this will heal my back and take my pain away." See how you feel on that one. Specific exercise with the goal of getting stronger or more flexible is fine!

As for the vertigo-in the absence of a physical cause, this can definitely be another form of TMS, per Sarno and others. It would be natural to have avoided movements that aggravate your symptoms. If you've ruled out any structural cause for the vertigo, treat it as TMS and start gradually doing more movements as you're comfortable even if you get a little dizzy sometimes. I have some experience with working with clients with vertigo if you have more specific questions, message me!

Sonic likes this.