1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Back Again.

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by braden101, Dec 8, 2015.

1. braden101

braden101 Peer Supporter

So it has been a while since I have been on here, coming up to two years. Symptoms were kept at bay with the skills I learnt last time around but life went on and I guess I just forgot about TMS thinking it was just a phase.

Went through a really rough breakup at the beginning of the year and funnily enough my physical symptoms pretty much disappeared, I am now wondering if that was to do with the fact that I had so much emotional pain to deal with at the time and there was no need for any physical distractions!?

Now that those negative feelings associated with the breakup have been dealt with, physical symptoms have gone crazy. Anxiety came back with a vengeance along with all those gross physical feelings it brings and the onset of knee/tendon pain which is completely new! Also the last few months I have been having horrible acne flare ups, which I never actually attributed to TMS until now!

I read the MBP again and my anxiety levels have improved slightly, knee/tendon pain has more or less vanished already but the acne I guess will be a little harder for me to overcome as I don't I think have fully accepted it as a symptom and it has become an obsession, setting off a whole load of negative thoughts and I can see how it has been working as a very successful TMS symptom throughout my life but I have never put the two together until now!

Will be starting the SEP program again, just wanted to get some thoughts out! I found so much support on this forum last time around and am kind of excited to start getting better, again!

JanAtheCPA and KevinB like this.
  2. KevinB

KevinB Well known member

Hey Branden,

Thanks for sharing. I too am doing the SEP for the second time. I finished this past July and was 100% pain free for about 4 months; but it came back, same
    trigger (weight lifting), and same symptoms (pain with walking and standing).... I was really disappointed in myself for the relapse, which caused it to get even worse. But I've been working on just accepting it, telling myself that there must be some issues I didn't address the last time, as well as new things in life, so it's a positive thing....but when in pain, it is very challenging to maintain that mindset.

Anyhow, doing the SEP the second time has been good so far. Best of luck to you!

Kevin

braden101 likes this.
  3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Braden. Dr. Sarno says acne is one of the symptoms of TMS. Our repressed emotions come out in various ways and that is one of them. You may have dealt with them the first time in the SEP but your subconscious needs to be certain you have continued to deal with them. Or like Kevin says, you didn't really discover all the repressed emotions the first time in the SEP. It's fine to go through the program again, and good luck journaling to discover whatever is still causing your symptom.

braden101 likes this.
  4. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Braden, and welcome back! I can totally relate to this. I had been suffering from vague TMS symptoms and anxiety all my life, not that I knew it at the time, but it wasn't until after I'd been single for a year (after 23 years of marriage) that my symptoms became acute and lifestyle-threatening (I was seriously in danger of becoming housebound back in 2011). I am quite convinced that I wasn't upset by the breakup, which was very healthy for both of us, but just the opposite - the relationship, with its problems, was keeping me distracted enough that my brain didn't need to use too many symptoms to keep my older and deeper emotions repressed. As soon as I was free and single, the symptoms started piling up until I was in crisis. At which point I discovered Dr. Sarno and changed my life.

Still working on it!

braden101 likes this.