1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Avoidance

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Lilibet, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Lilibet

Lilibet Peer Supporter

I just have to laugh about how it took me three days to do the Day 9 work. I did NOT want to journal!!! When I finally did it today, I did several things to distract myself during the actual writing. First, I went online to see if I could find a news article about the event I was writing about, which led me to a website that had old photos of my hometown. That was fun! Then a friend called with a computer question, so I went online to see if I could find an answer. An email arrived from a friend, which of course I had to read and respond to. That made me think about going online and looking up rentals in a town I'd love to live in. In the midst of my journal entry, I wrote down all these things I had done to avoid writing about it, so that I would be aware of my avoidance. But I didn't kick myself about the avoidance. As a dog-loving psychologist I know says about accepting feelings: "I just kissed it on its little black nose." :D

2. gailnyc

gailnyc Well known member

Hahaha, those avoidance techniques are classic!
    I often don't feel like journaling, but I know this comes from a desire to run away from my (emotional) pain, so I force myself to do it once or twice a week. If I'm really not feeling like it, I set a timer for 15 minutes. I only have to journal for 15 minutes, then I'm free to do other things. Very often, I am surprised at how into it I get, going well past the 15 minutes.

3. Lilibet

Lilibet Peer Supporter

Great timer idea, Gail!

4. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

It can be so easy to “kick yourself” about the small things -- in your case, avoiding Day 9’s work. But reading this, where you were not only able to identify the avoidance, but also accept that the avoidance occurred (and with humor!) indicates to me that you are absolutely on the right track. TMS healing involves a great deal of self-awareness. From what I can tell, you have the insight that you’ll need to understand your TMS and ultimately defeat it.

...also, I found it somewhat ironic (but oddly fitting) that the Question to Ponder for Day 9 was about being overly critical :)

Forest

5. Lilibet

Lilibet Peer Supporter

Thanks, Forest. I appreciate your encouragement. Yes, the irony was actually pretty funny! :)