1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Authority People

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by NIClubber, Apr 23, 2016.

1. NIClubber

NIClubber Peer Supporter

I think I am not able to believe what Dr Sarno is telling me as I have such a big problem with people in authority. Nobody helped me when I was in secondary school even though they all knew I was being bullied. I tried to get people to pay attention to me by running away a couple of times and also attempted suicide (more than once). I was in therapy for a couple of years, but nobody made sure that the reason I was in therapy had gone, ie the bullying.

I think that my unconscious sees Dr Sarno and other TMS people as being authority figures. I think that's why my unconscious isn't able to believe that TMS is caused by repressed emotions. I think my conscious has started to believe it, but my unconscious is refusing to do it, as it sees Dr Sarno as an authority figure of some sort.

I have had some temporary reductions in the pains in my back, but it always returns usually more intense than before. I have also had nothing that will get rid of the dizziness I have had on and off for most of the last 10-12 years or any of the other symptoms I have had on and off for most of the last three decades.

Any ideas how I could get my unconscious to start believing that TMS is caused by repressed emotions?? I have had a lot of temporary relief from writing about various guilt. Would it help to write about being guilty of not believing ALL authority figures????????

2. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Two ideas:
    1. Try to view Sarno and others not as authority figures, but as consultants--people you would pay for advice because of their higher level of expertise in a given field. (Of course, the good news you don't have to pay them in this instance!:cool:)
    2. Read a lot of success stories. This will give you ammunition for your subC.
    As a teacher, I know that success sometimes depends on how you frame things.
    Good luck!

3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

In my opinion, it is helpful to inquire into doubts, gently, and persistently until they lose their power over us. I think your idea is a good one, if you can do it as a genuine open-ended inquiry, rather than as an effort to change your mind, or reject yourself for your resistance to authority. You are curious about your lack of trust, and you want to understand more.

It is helpful to understand that you don't need to "inquire your doubt away." Taking that stance pressures us and interferes with our inquiry. Inquiry is soft. You were let down by those you trusted. How does this feel? This is a tender, attuned inquiry, quite natural and needed, and you have been brought to this question/experience by understanding your suffering. Our suffering wants to be seen and attuned to. I think your inner guidance has raised this question, and it is a good one.

4. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

To answer the first part of the question, there are numerous tools for activating the belief system within with TMS healing.

From my journey, I've learned to trust my own instincts and to stop analysing and questioning why, but simply engaging and working through the process.

Unfortunately, there's no simple means of reprogramming the unconscious mind, it takes, dedication, persistency and lots of repetition.

I've also read that there are two specific parts of the brain, one day which is focused on analytical thinking and the other to do with spirituality and belief.

My understanding is that when we stop questioning the why and analysing and just embrace the concept, healing is possible.

With regards to your second point, I definitely agree with @Andy B. Gently enquire to your unconscious mind and ask why you feeling the way you are?

Perhaps your inner child is furious at being told what to do. Perhaps with reassurance, love and compassion and persistency you can guide him and assure him it's okay to listen to and have help from others.

Wishing you all the best on your journey @NIClubber.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  5. Orion2012

Orion2012 Well known member

I tend to think of Sarno and the other TMS authors not as authorities, but rebels!

The alternative approach and true knowledge they offer is a slap in the face to the mainstream medical establishment (which deserves it and couldn't be more full of shit in terms of chronic pain).

6. NIClubber

NIClubber Peer Supporter

Thanks for everyone's replies. My pain increased massively when I sent a text about 10 days ago to my (former) best friend to tell him that I didn't know what was going on in his life for most of the last decade as he rarely communicates with me.

7. Orion2012

Orion2012 Well known member

I also noticed massive pain spikes when feeling left out or excluded. That helped convince me of the TMS approach.

8. NIClubber

NIClubber Peer Supporter

Exluded me ..... an interesting phrase. Might write about that later. Thanks.