1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

AUDIO RESOURCES ANYONE?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Richsimm22, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Richsimm22

Richsimm22 Well known member

I'm looking for any free or paid audio resources I can listen to while riding to work.

2. SunnyinFL

SunnyinFL Well known member

Hi Richsimm22,

I like Dr. Schubiner's meditations, though I'm not sure if they would be good to listen to while riding. They are available if you purchase his workbook (see Amazon, ~ $20) or if you do his online course; both are entitled, "Unlearn Your Pain."

Another idea that is working well for me - and is free! - I have made voice memos on my iPhone of various affirmations, the 12 daily reminders, reprogramming exercises, etc. I am finding it powerful to both record them (say all these things out loud) and also to listen to my own voice. I say everything in first person, like "I know there is nothing structurally wrong. I am healthy." etc. As I read any of the TMS books, I highlight information that is meaningful to me and then make voice memos of those, too.

I hope some of these ideas might work for you!

Sienna, mike2014, JoeB1 and 1 other person like this.
  3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

It looks like The Self-Acceptance Project at Sounds True is still available. It's a free series of ~40-minute talks by well-known therapists, authors, and spiritualists.

All you have to do is give SoundsTrue your email address to be able to access them, for listening online or downloading. I downloaded the whole series. If you need to learn to love yourself (and who doesn't?) this series is wonderful.

SoundsTrue will put you on their mailing list, but I never got more than one email from them a week, usually less, and they have free resources and frequent discounts on their books and audio programs. I purchased "Meditations to Change Your Brain" by neuroscientist Richard Mendius and therapist Rick Hansen (also available on Amazon for about the same or free if you have Audible, but I got mine during one of ST's sales). It's more than just meditations - the educational material was really enlightening about how our brains work, and the meditations in between the lectures are excellent.

Sienna, North Star, Forest and 2 others like this.
  4. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi there, I posted a link with lots of free mindfulness meditations and talks from UCLA a few days ago, I posted this in general discussion. These are definitely worth listening to.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
    SunnyinFL likes this.
  5. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks Jan, I added these to my collection today :) I have been considering buying Change your brain for some time, but I think I'm going to work through my huge back log of books and audio before I buy anymore.

Sienna and SunnyinFL like this.
  6. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

I'm a big fan of Rick Hansen as well. He really knows his stuff. @plum was the one who turned me on to him if anyone remembers her. His big book is Buddha's Brain.

JanAtheCPA, Sienna, mike2014 and 2 others like this.
  7. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

Rich, I'm a podcast junkie. My current listens deal with entrepreneurship and finance. Depending on where my curiosity is, I listen to a variety of topics. So many great resources out there! NPR is usually a good bet for a variety of topics.

I also subscribed to Audible and while I still love it, I've found I can get many audio books for free from my library. So I no longer subscribe to Audible but have a massive amount of audio books. I have several favorites I listen to over and over again. (Like Dr. Sarno reading his Back Pain book.)

Jan, thanks for those recommendations. I already subscribe to Sounds True but will look for the Self-Acceptance thing. Ditto for Rick Hansen. I've heard about Buudha's Brain before and if you guys are recommending it, I know it will be good!

Sienna, Richsimm22, mike2014 and 3 others like this.