1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Audio book recommendations anyone?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Richsimm22, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Richsimm22

Richsimm22 Well known member

Ive read Dr John Sarnos healing back pain and im nearly finished listening to the audiobook. I much prefer listening to the audio version especially as I can listen as I commute to work. I wondered if anyone had any recommendations for other audio books or anything else audio for that matter. I was thinking of mindbody prescription next possibly.

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Richsimm,

I have Mindbody Prescription on audio and I like it. It's not at powerful as listening to Dr. Sarno read Healing Back Pain, but the narrator is good, and sounds a little like Sarno. I can recommend it.

Richsimm22 likes this.
  3. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

We have a wiki page about TMS Audio Books that would be a good place to start your search.

What are your goals right now? Are you interested in healing or do you want to learn out of interest. If healing is your goal, your best bet might just be to keep listening to Dr. Sarno's books, over and over. TMS healing happens in deeper and older portions of the brain such as the basal ganglia and midbrain, where the unconscious resides. It takes a long time for these parts of the brain to adapt, which is why repetition is so important. Dr. Sarno captures this in Healing Back Pain with the following quote:
    The last lines of a poem by Edna St. Vincent Millay illustrate the reason why the pain doesn’t disappear quickly:
    Pity me that the heart is slow to learn
    What the swift mind beholds at every turn.
    If we substitute the words “subconscious mind” for “heart” the point will be clear. The conscious mind is swift; it can grasp and accept things quickly. The subconscious is slow, deliberate, not quick to accept new ideas and change, which is no doubt a very good thing. Were it not so, humans would be very unstable animals. However, at times like these, when we want things to change quickly, we are impatient with the lumbering subconscious.​

Audio books can be great for the long retraining of your unconscious mind/basal ganglia. In addition, it can be amazing how little of the wisdom in Dr. Sarno's books that one understands the first time through.

On the other hand, if you are interested in reading out of curiosity, many great books are available in audiobook format. I've enjoyed audiobooks of Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers by Sapolsky, When the Body Says No, by Mate, Buddha's Brain, by Hanson, and Mind-Body Medicine: The New Science of Optimal Health by Satterfield (the last one is only available through The Great Courses). Currently I'm listening to The Last Best Cure and loving it. However, I read these books only out of curiousity and a desire to understand a broader context. These other books aren't really about TMS. Everything you need to know and that is essential for Knowledge Therapy can be found in Dr. Sarno's books. It really comes down to the basics and repetition is an important part of that for many.

Let us know what you come up with!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
    Richsimm22 and Ellen like this.
  4. Richsimm22

Richsimm22 Well known member

Thanks thats helped alot and yeah im definitely reading at the moment for healing. So ill probably go on MBP next then onto the divided mind. One reason I prefer audio is when I read I dont absorb the information as well as when its read
    To me. When Ive been listening to dr sarnos healing back pain I wear earphones so it feels like ive got this voice inside my head talking to me.
    I have to agree repetition is key and especially for me. I always need to go over things a few times to properly sink in.

5. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Damn, I've been trying to memorize that quote by Edna St. Vincent Millay for years and can NEVER get it right. I'm not into tattoos, but maybe I'll get that one imprinted on my forearm, or forehead--or my basal ganglia. BTW, I used to listen to Dr. Schechter's tapes a lot on my commute and found them helpful.

Forest likes this.
  6. muzzo909

muzzo909 New Member

I have The Divided Mind on audiobook and it's great. Just like you, I play it in the car while commuting to work. Since you've read Healing Back Pain, The Divided Mind is great for some additional information.
    It focuses on the teachings of Freud and other notable psychosomatic professionals throughout history.
    There's a great segment on Freud's concepts of the id, ego, and superego. All of which make up our conscious and subconscious mind.
    It also has a segment on treatment for TMS.
    It's great in the audiobook format.

Good Luck!