1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Atypical Trigeminal neuralgia

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Messyz, Sep 7, 2022.

1. Messyz

Messyz New Member

Has anybody dealt with atypical Trigeminal neuralgia/facial pain? I made another thread recently but my symptoms have kind of changed but staying in the mouth/face area.

It’s constant pain from the moment I wake up until I fall asleep. I have burning in my gums & roof of my mouth, burning/pain in cheeks/jaw area, pain in teeth, headache. Most of it is on the left side of my face but I have gotten some pains on the right side of my face every now and then and the top front teeth have pain. I have pressure/pain in the bottom front teeth. Also have prickly/crawling skin sometimes on both sides of my jaws. Randomly I’ll feel my top two front teeth hit my bottom teeth but that happens separately.

Something odd that I’ve noticed is that my pain goes away while eating but immediately comes back seconds later.

Is Atypical Trigeminal neuralgia or atypical facial pain TMS? I haven’t been diagnosed yet as my primary doctor said I might have Trigeminal neuralgia. Also I’ve dealt with pelvic pain 4 years ago and beat that but the symptoms were never constant. Right now it’s just constant pain and it’s kind of hard to move on from it. Anybody have any tips for that?

2. Booble

Booble Well known member

I was having exactly that right prior to finding TMS. Also mostly on the left side. Also would go away while eating. Plus it then moved to my throat/larynx area.
    I think it's unconscious tightening of all those muscles. Thus while eating you are using your eating muscles it eases up.
    Prior to TMS I tried like the dickens to relax that area and couldn't. When I stopped thinking about it and focused on emotions ala TMS it all disappeared. All.

TG957 likes this.
  3. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

You can search on your topic using the little spy glass icon above. Lots of people have posted about this, you might find it helpful. There’s a success forum too - looking at that can help!

4. Booble

Booble Well known member

I actually found TMS because this forum came up so often in the Search Engines when searching for that kind of pain. :)

5. Messyz

Messyz New Member

I appreciate your help! My teeth pain that was 24/7 is 90% gone. What’s interesting is that I’ve now got a 24/7 pain/headache in my left temple and occasional facial pain but advil doesn’t do anything for it since it’s the nerves. I was having 2 months straight of just pure dental pain and the occasional facial pain.

6. Booble

Booble Well known member

Yep. It moves around. It's a tricky buggah. I don't even think of it as nerve pain because it's the mind that stirs up the muscles and/or nerves. It's not the nerves or the muscles fault. It's not really a physical thing except when we create it. Forget about it. They are just sensations. Think about and feel the emotional stressors past and present instead.